Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017

For better readability, I have split off proper map (topology) from proper morphism (general) and added disambiguation. Added classes of examples at proper map.

1. fixed typo “cncepts” -> “concepts”

Anonymous

diff, v4, current

2. Cleanup definition of proper.

Aniruddh Agarwal

diff, v7, current

3. Complete rewrite.

Damien Lejay

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2023

did a fair bit of adjustment (wording, layout, formatting, typesetting) in particular so that the “complete rewrite” interacts with the material that was there before.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2023

Typos fixed

diff, v10, current

4. Add a counter-example.

Damien Lejay

diff, v11, current

5. Add another description as “continuous family of compact fibres”.

Damien Lejay

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2023

Added the much needed references:

References

One of the early reference on proper maps is

• Nicolas Bourbaki, Topologie Générale (Éléments de Mathématique, Livre III), Chapitres 1 à 2. Second Edition, 1951. Actualites Sci. Ind. 1142, Hermann, Paris.

A considerable expanded treatment is given in the third edition, see Chapter I, Section 10:

• Nicolas Bourbaki, Topologie Générale (Éléments de Mathématique, Livre III), Chapitres 1 à 2. Third Edition, 1961. Actualites Sci. Ind. 1142, Hermann, Paris.

English translation of the 1971 edition:

• Nicolas Bourbaki, General Topology (Elements of Mathematics), Chapters 1–4. Springer, 1987.

The localic version of proper maps was introduced by Johnstone:

• Peter Johnstone, Factorization and pullback theorems for localic geometric morphisms, Univ. Cath. de Louvain, Sem. de math, pure, Rapport no. 79.

• Peter Johnstone, The Gleason cover of a topos, II, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 22:3 (1981), 229–247. doi.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2023
    • (edited Feb 15th 2023)

Thanks!

have added doi:10.1007/978-3-642-61701-0 for Bourbaki’s book

fixed the link doi:10.1016/0022-4049(81)90100-6 (for “The Gleason cover…”): Since the url has unescaped parenthesis, it does not work with the [link](url)-syntax, unfortunately. One can escape the parenthesis if one remembers or bothers to look up the respective codes, otherwise one can fall back to HTML syntax <a href="url">link</a>.

Do we have any hyperlink for

• Factorization and pullback theorems for localic geometric morphisms, Univ. Cath. de Louvain, Sem. de math, pure, Rapport no. 79.

?

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

Re #10:

In the second paper, Johnstone writes:

Parts of the paper (in particular the contents of Section 1) appeared in a preliminary form in [16]; I am grateful to Francis Borceux for providing me with the incentive to write [16].

where [16] is the paper “Factorization…” and Section 1 is the section about proper maps.

So I think it is safe to say that the “Factorization…” paper is just a preprint that was never properly published (as indicated by “Rapport no. 79”), and its mathematical content relevant to proper maps appeared in Johnstone’s 1981 paper, which was submitted in 1979. So there is really no point in citing the “Factorization…” paper other than to move the priority date a few months back (not that it is under dispute anyway).

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I see, thanks. So I have added brief commentary (here) to make this clear and save the reader the headache of hunting for that rapport.

diff, v16, current

6. Add another equivalent characterization of properness, useful to show the comparison between proper maps of topological spaces and proper maps of locales. Add a proposition comparing the two notions.

Damien Lejay

diff, v17, current

7. Add a warning about inconsistent terminology

Damien Lejay

diff, v17, current

8. Move the remark on inconsistent terminology to another page.

Damien Lejay

diff, v17, current