Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2017

the entry neighbourhood base was in a funny state. I have edited a little. No mention of filters yet.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I edited a little myself.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

That makes sense, thanks.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited May 15th 2017)

I edited some more: I removed the superscripts xx as superfluous (and overly busy as notation), and removed the word “open” preceding the U iU_i since there is no insistence on that (as when one says, “a base of compact neighborhoods”, etc.).

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure. I had added those superscripts to amplify that the base elements are all required to be neighbourhoods of xx, too, instead of more general open subsets. I sometimes see that condition being omitted (forgotten).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2017

Not requiring the neighbourhoods to be open, in my mind, helps to remember that they're supposed to be neighbourhoods of something. (Because otherwise there's no restriction at all!) There's open sets, and then there's neighbourhoods.