Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017

I needed a way to point to the topological interval [0,1][0,1] regarded as an interval object for the use in homotopy theory. Neither the entry interval nor the entry interval object seemed specific enough for this purpose, so I created topological interval.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I added Freyd’s characterization. (This is stated elsewhere, but also belongs here.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, thanks. Just for completeness, to make it the topological interval, I have added mentioning of the induced order topology to the statement of the theorem.

• CommentRowNumber4.

In some sense “interval” is a red herring because the functor could just as well be defined for bipointed topological spaces and one would get [0,1][0, 1] with its standard topology. Maybe it’s a matter of taste how one puts it, but I used intervals because the article is “topological interval”.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, but then we should not say

as an object of the category IntInt of intervals (linear orders with distinct top and bottom elements)

but

as an object of the category IntInt of intervals (linear orders with distinct top and bottom elements) equipped with their order topology

• CommentRowNumber6.

Not necessarily, because then we are speaking of the “category of topological intervals” or something. That’s more structural baggage than we actually need to carry around.

I probably could have made my point better by going minimal and removing both words, “topology” and “interval”. Just define [0,1][0, 1] as the terminal FF-coalgebra in the category of sets equipped with a distinct first and second point. Then the interval structure you want can be coinductively defined. More at coalgebra of the real interval.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017

All I want is that the entry titled “topological interval” says explicitly how this terminal coalgebra is a topological space, either way.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Okay, I reworded that section and hopefully it’s satisfactory now.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, thanks!