Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorPeter Heinig
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017
    • (edited Jul 28th 2017)

[ new thread since this page appears not to have had any ]

Added two references, and two quotations, one of which I cannot substantiate except for assuring you that I have a distinct recollection of it from a seminar at Hamburg.

Part of the reason for doing so was that I rather naturally stumbled upon this pre-existing nLab page, and that today I did sort-of-a-memory-exercise, during which I remembered several quotes, among them, the newly added two.

Another thing that came to mind: of course, it is not for me to make recommendations on how to write what nLab page, but just as a useful recommendation or guideline-suggestion: one way to prevent this page on Tutte becoming more or less indistinguishable from e.g. his Wikipedia page, and rather make in interestingly focused, would be to see to it that

• Tutte’s crypto-work is left out of the page entirely,

• Tutte’s graph-theoretic work is not made the main focus of the page,

• Tutte’s homotopical and matroid-theoretic work is emphasized and documented.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Slightly rearranged the page.

I agree that the work on cryptography might not be especially germane to the focus of the nLab, but generally speaking we shouldn’t worry if we duplicate material from Wikipedia.