Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2017

Max came across some baroque linking to sections.

HowTo#how_to_make_links_to_subsections_of_a_page gives maybe old advice that may be partially responsible. My improvements should probably be checked..

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017

Thanks! I actually didn’t know that you could write [[page name#anchor]]. Has that always been true?

I removed the comment “HowTo gives strange advice so I edited it”, which seemed a strange remark to have on the page HowTo. (-:

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2017

hmmm

I didn’t catch that [[page#anchor]] behaves differently in nForum (displays page#anchor) vs. in nLab (displays just page). I wouldn’t recommend taking advantage of this bug/feature so it probably shouldn’t be documented in HowTo.

You would have thought I’d notice this when I pasted in a line too much in my edit but maybe the missing # followed by a long string prevented it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2017
    • (edited Aug 31st 2017)

What would be super-useful were if

[[page#anchor]]

with “anchor” the name of a proposition environment would produce “{page name} (prop. {prop number})”.

• CommentRowNumber5.

You can always use a pipelink: [[page#anchor|link text]].

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, that’s what I always do, but this means I cannot refer to the proposition number, because there is no guarantee that this will not change in the future, due to additions or rearrangements in the entry being pointed to.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Aug 31st 2017)

mike, what Urs is complaining about is that using ref such as \ref{theoremID} \to 2.1 doesn’t work with a theorem on a different page. Using a pipe name link fails when something (like adding a new theorem before) makes the theorem number change.

Getting something like \ref{theoremID page} to work would be difficult because Instiki would have to read in page to find the number given to theoremID, or maintain a new database of these correspondences,

On top of that the nLab currently has a extra-Instiki javascript kludge that takes a theorem number as found in the html transmitted to display a page and prepends a section number. eg 1 \to 2.1. See the Sandbox example I linked above.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Sorry, my comment was intended as a response to #3, not #4. I agree that #4 would be nice, but I don’t think it’s essential; the purpose of citing a theorem by number is to enable the reader to find it, but a hyperlink taking the reader directly to the theorem in question serves the same purpose. (Are you thinking about a reader who prints out nLab pages on paper?)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Aug 31st 2017)

I don’t know what’s happening now

I created Sandbox/1045, then I tried to put in examples of HowTo#equation_numbering and eq referencing.

My first bigish attempt gave the error message:

500 Internal Server Error

Oops! Please report this on the nForum (in the Technical category), giving as precise details as you can as to what triggered the error.

I pared down what I had added to now give Sandbox/1046. This doesn’t bomb out but the equation at the bottom doesn’t display correctly AND it messes up the display of ’Proposition 2.1’ above.

I’ve never used numbered equation and have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017

HowTo#how_to_make_links_to_subsections_of_a_page gives gives some wrong and incomplete advice about adding a tag, {#sometag1}, so that can be linked to.

I don’t know why to tag an arbitrary text block such as a list element or paragraph the tag must appear at the beginning, while to tag a heading it must appear at the end.

See the experiments at Sandbox/1054.

Anyway I updated HowTo to reflect how tagging works in its current incarnation.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017

Anyway I updated HowTo to reflect how tagging works in its current incarnation.

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2017

Strangely, in the nLab single bracket link texts allow math expressions while double bracket texts don’t. In the nForum both styles work though for single bracket linking the full url must be given.

e.g. in the nForum Set Set^\to is produced from [$Set^\to$](https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Sierpinski+topos) though the easier [[Sierpinski topos|$Set^\to$]] is allowed.

See the experiment at Sandbox2/81#strange.

I’ve updated HowTo to reflect this. Should this practice be discouraged or is it useful for something like SetSet? Or this just too confusing to be documented even if there are no problems for simple in-page links and what I added should be removed?

Should HowTo#tricks be updated for this hack?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Rod, thanks for all this!

Should HowTo#tricks be updated for this hack?

If you have the energy, then whatever potentially useful information there is would be worth recording, yes!

• CommentRowNumber14.

In my browser, [$Set^\to$](https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Sierpinski+topos) looks just like SetSet: the superscript is not shown.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Mike you really should say what “my browser” means. I mostly run Firefox Nightly and I’m at 57.0a1 (2017-09-03) (32-bit).

I also see the superscripts in Firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit) and in Google chrome Version 61.0.3163.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Maybe you have some font problem.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Firefox 55.0.2 (64-bit). I do see them in Chrome.