Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorsgarush
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017
    • (edited Nov 2nd 2017)

I’ve been reading the “relevance for supersymmetry” of the nlab article on Deligne’s theorem, and had a few niggling doubts: doesn’t this only apply to finite-dimensional vector spaces?

More specifically: Hilbert spaces don’t categorify well, and I’m not aware of any ‘reasonable’ category built on them which abelian. Thus, I can’t see any natural way in which representations on them form a tensor category.

Since everything works out nicely in finite dimensions, what I can see is that Deligne’s theorem implies that the most general symmetries of a finite-dimensional quantum system are given by algebraic super-groups. (Well, almost – one also has to admit antilinear representations by Wigner/Bargmann, so even this doesn’t seem exactly true.)

So here is my question: am I missing something?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2017

doesn’t this only apply to finite-dimensional vector spaces?

Yes, to have a complete argument, one needs to mention Wigner’s “little group method” (the “Mackey machine”) and apply Deligne’s theorem to that little group.