Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2017
    • (edited Nov 9th 2017)

This question will just show my ignorance, please bear with me:

For P:C (X)C (X)P \colon C^\infty(X) \to C^\infty(X) a differential operator (self-adjoint say), there is an evident linear map

DistribSolutions(P)(C (X)/im(P)) * DistribSolutions(P) \longrightarrow \left(C^\infty(X)/im(P)\right)^\ast

from distributions uu for which Pu=0P u = 0 to linear duals on the cokernel of PP.

When is this surjective?

(I’d be happy to add various qualifiers if necessary, say compactly supported distributions, or whatever it takes.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017

With help from Igor Khavkine, here is the sketch of an argument that this is indeed true at least for the case of “Green hyperbolic differential equations”: here

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017

I should say that I created some stubby minimum at generalized solution

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017

I have forwarded the question to MO here. I know it’s a straightforward check, but maybe somebody lends a hand.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2017

Igor Khavkine has kindly provided a proof, now here.