Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2018
    • (edited May 4th 2018)

Just collecting together things on the list to implement/look into, to make it a little easier and anybody else interested in contributing to keep an overview.

1. Import of HoTT special year pages into the nLab. Request of Mike over email. DONE.

2. Speed up of page loading on the nLab. Last touched on by Urs here. See also the experiments with a static frontend, discussed here.

3. Update nForum announcements made within 30 minutes rather than post new announcements, to mirror the behaviour of the nLab. Last touched on here.

4. Make tool for handling references in the nLab. Last discussed here.

5. Save and display nLab page title changes in the revision history. See here.

6. Fix bugs in the nLab’s display of the diff in mathematics the revision history. (See more or less any diff where mathematics is involved).

7. Automatically convert links posted verbatim in the nForum to actual links rather than plain text.

I think that’s everything that has been raised so far. Things may soon be added to the list, e.g. the thoughts Urs had in #68 and #70 here.

Let me know if there’s anything else I should add.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 13th 2018)

Thanks again for all your work! It’s amazing.

Since you ask, I’ll point out one very minor issue:

• When I am done with my edit cycle, and then go and write my announcement text, it is lost upon submitting if I did not remember to make a last change to the entry, for instance by adding or removing a whitespace.

• Similarly but complementarily, if I remember to make a last edit, then write my announcment text, but forget to click the checkbox, then again the announcement text is lost.

Clearly I can handle this myself. But if it is not too hard to make the software behave a little more forgivingly, it would be a convenience.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

write my announcment text, but forget to click the checkbox, then again the announcement text is lost.

This makes me wonder whether the checkbox is really necessary at all. Could it just be replaced by nonemptiness of the textbox?

• CommentRowNumber4.

Oh, I guess maybe we want to be able to describe trivial changes for the nLab history but not announce them at the forum?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018
    • (edited Apr 17th 2018)

Re #2: Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely I should fix it, it is also part of what is needed for 3) in my list in #1.

Re #3 and #4:

Oh, I guess maybe we want to be able to describe trivial changes for the nLab history but not announce them at the forum?

Currently actually no description is logged if one does not tick to announce! Only that a trivial edit has been made, the time of it, page name, and author is logged. Happy to change it though, if people think it best. Equally happy to change as in #3 if preferred.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018

I would suggest #3; does anyone have an argument for a different behavior?

1. Just adding a couple more items to the TODO list (see here for the discussion which has led to this).

1) Remove use of form-spam-protection plugin from all pages.

2) Improve design of file upload/deletion, etc. E.g. after one has uploaded a pdf, one should get a link to it, without needing to change syntax. The design seems a bit clunky and unintuitive at the moment.

2. Re #6: Removing the checkbox does prevent the possibility of indicating one’s edit without making any comments. But nobody seems to use this, and maybe we would like to enforce making a comment anyway, so this may be for the best. Otherwise I cannot think of any objection; if nobody raises an objection reasonably soon, I’ll implement it.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2018

Something else to put on the to-do list: the nForum has a weird bug whereby it sometimes refuses to post a comment, saying it was unable to authenticate. Generally just clicking the “post” button again makes it work, but this is a little annoying (and may be more offputting for new users who aren’t familiar with it).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorAlexisHazell
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018

Something I’ve been meaning to ask about for a while: it seems I only get email notifications of new comments on nForum threads I’m following when I’m actively logged in to the nForum site. Is this intended behaviour?

3. Re #9 and #10: noted! Re #10: whether or not it is intended, it seems a bit weird, so I can look into changing it unless someone objects!

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2018

The precise error message in #9 is

Some problems were encountered

There was a problem authenticating your post information.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018
    • (edited May 3rd 2018)

A couple of further items for the TODO list.

1. Analytics, e.g. number of page loads, preferably in some nice dashboard. Last discussed here.

2. Bug with locking, last discussed here. DONE.

4. New item:

1. Refactor theorem environments to something more sensible, including the possibility to use the same syntax as LaTex. Last discussed here.
    • CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2018

Another:

1. Suppress “redirected from” messages for singular/plural and other purely orthographic redirects. Last discussed here
    • CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2018

Another:

1. Normalize unicode characters. Last discussed here.

You know, it occurs to me that a better place to maintain a to-do list than a discussion thread would be, perhaps… a wiki page? (-:O

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • (edited Jun 19th 2018)

Hehe, feel fee to make a wiki page :-). Maybe it would be a bit strange to have it on the nLab itself, but I don’t mind.

Very good that you are adding things here. I am still very busy and do not have time to look into things, so it is very useful to have a list for me to come back to later. I try to check most nForum posts, but there has been quite a bit of activity recently and I am not checking everything, so it is excellent to record here anything that people want action taking towards, with a link to relevant discussion, as you are doing.

• CommentRowNumber18.
  5. Great, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2018

I have added to item 1 (make large pages load less sluggishly) a comment on what the issue here is, paraphrasing what Richard had explained somewhere:

(Apparently the actual issue here is that large pages are currently not being cached, since the agent that requests the page in order to store it times out before it receives the page. So the fix ought to consist simply in increasing the timeout threshold for the caching agent.)

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2018
    • (edited Jul 6th 2018)

A major pain with editing large entries with many automatically numbered items occurs when one accidentally duplicates an anchor label: This breaks the automatic numbering subordinate to section numbers, as it falls back to linear numbering (hence some Prop. 3.41 will now be referred to as Prop. 272, or the like).

This is of course trivial to fix, but only IF one knows which label got accidentally duplicated. With enough !includes, knowing this is non-trivial.

But I suspect the duplicated label will be reported somewhere in the logs!? Hence my request for the ToDo list:

Let anchor label duplication errors be read out from the logs and announced as error messages (similar to how duplicate redirects are already being reported as error messages).

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2018
    • (edited Jul 21st 2018)

Tweaked the dashboard entry at Technical TODO list (nlabmeta).

6. Have done a little bookkeeping at Technical TODO list (nlabmeta), so that it should be up to date now.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2018

Added to Technical TODO list (nlabmeta)

When announcing an anonymous edit at the nForum, maybe the user’s IP address should be included, to make it easy to see at a glance that two such edits are probably the same person.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2019

Added to Technical TODO list (nlabmeta):

The “category: XXX” label at the bottom of a page should probably not be displayed when the page is included into another page. For instance, this is relevant to pages with category:svg.