Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2018

I added a loose description of the dihedron, and commented that the 2-gon as a face should be possible (so as to have the A 1A_1 case included, thinking of the ADE classification)

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. I made Platonic solid a hyperlink.

(Let’s remember to hyperlink at least the key technical terms in an entry. That’s what make a wiki be more useful than a book.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Why is the index 4n4 n for the dihedral group D 4nD_{4n}? I have a vague recollection of a difference in terminology about say D 5D_5 or D 10D_10 for symmetries of the pentagon. Ah yes, wikipedia mentions this. But this concerns nn or 2n2n, not 4n4n.

Another point, we claim that the ADE classification concerns Platonic solids, and yet don’t associate anything with the AA series in the table. Is there a way of associating degenerate solids to both AA and DD? Perhaps this page helps.

I have a feeling there’s something else wrong with that table. Wikipedia speaks of a ’binary cyclic group’, which is what we should have presumably as a subgroup of SU(2)SU(2).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have a feeling there’s something else wrong with that table. Wikipedia speaks of a ’binary cyclic group’, which is what we should have presumably as a subgroup of SU(2)SU(2).

Thanks for catching that. I created binary cyclic group and fixed the ADE – table.

But why “something else”? What else is wrong?

• CommentRowNumber5.

The index in D 4nD_{4n} issue.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 16th 2018)

I see now. Thanks.

Let me see. here is a corresponding table in Durfee 79

It seems to say that

Dynkin fin group symbol order
    D kD_k binary dihedral D kD_k 4(k-2)

for k4k \geq 4.

I would like us to start counting at 0. That should give

Dynkin fin group symbol order
    D n+4D_{n+4} binary dihedral D n+4D_{n+4} 2(2n+4)

for nn \in \mathbb{N}

This seems to fit with neither of the two conventions that Wikipedia offers, even if one accounts for the binary version.

But we get from it that the non-binary dihedral group corresponding to the Dynkin diagram D n+4D_{n+4} has order 2(n+2)2(n+2). If we follow Wikipedia, then this should be called either D n+2D_{n+2} or D 2n+4D_{2n+4}.

What a mess!

• CommentRowNumber7.

Gah, is it too much to ask for Wikipedia to give the collection of unit quaternions corresponding to the binary cyclic group? Cf https://groupprops.subwiki.org/wiki/Dicyclic_group (which I will add later if no one beats me to it).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for catching that. I created binary cyclic group and fixed the ADE – table.

Sorry, that was wrong. I changed it back. The non-binary 2n+1\mathbb{Z}_{2n+1} are still finite subgroups of SU(2)SU(2), of course: The generator is

(e 2πi/(2n+1) 0 0 e 2πi/(2n+1)) \left( \array{ e^{2\pi i / (2n + 1)} & 0 \\ 0 & e^{-2\pi i / (2n + 1)} } \right)
    • CommentRowNumber9.

So the odd cyclics are subgroups of SU(2)SU(2) but are not binary polyhedral groups.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes.

In Keenan 03, theorem 4 it is phrased this way:

Every finite subgroup of SU(2)SU(2) is a cyclic, binary dihedral or binary polyhedral group.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018

That pointer should go to binary dihedral group. I have added it there.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018

Thanks. I was looking up stuff on my phone while walking to the bus, not quite up to editing a lab page.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2019

In the sentence

A dihedron is a degenerate Platonic solid with only two (identical) faces, which may be any polygon (including possibly the degenerate

I have replaced “polygon” by “regular polygon”

diff, v4, current