Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2018

The entry used to be a plain disambiguation between reflective subcategory and an empty list of other meaning of reflection.

But since the only evident point that entries like rotation, translation, boost, etc. could point to for related concepts is an entry called reflection. So maybe that should be the main meaning here, and alternative meaning be secondary.

I slightly edited accordingly. But besides the different link structure now, there is still no substantial content here.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I’ll edit when I have a chance, but I’d rather say something about reflection across a hyperplane etc. in the Idea section. An involutive linear transformation that fixes a hyperplane, or something like that (what’s in the Idea section currently doesn’t seem correct).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, okay, I wrote a more decent sentence.

But I don’t have the energy to write an entry about reflections now, for the time being I just wanted to fix the link structure of the entries.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

It would, of course, be possible to name a page something like reflection in a hyperplane or reflection transformation, and keep reflection as a disambiguation (or even a redirect to reflective subcategory). I suspect that there are more links on the nLab that want to point reflection to reflective subcategory than ones which use the transformation sense (even though this is probably the opposite of mathematics in general), so I would somewhat prefer this. We have a similar reversal with conjunction and logical conjunction.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Apr 17th 2018)

Not that it is of much relevance, but I’d just thought I’d mention that there is also a programming language concept called ’reflection’. It typically refers to ’self-examination’ of, and de facto modification of, code at runtime, e.g. one might look up at runtime the methods that a particular class has. A notable use of it is for example in ’mocking’ when unit testing.

Edit: I realised afterwards that everything I wrote is covered in the wikipedia article on this!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2018
    • (edited Apr 18th 2018)

I suspect that there are more links on the nLab that want to point reflection to reflective subcategory than ones which use the transformation sense

Searching with

reflection site:ncatlab.org

seems to show that no page actually points to the entry “reflection”, except my cross-links with the related geometric concepts. All the category theoretic entries use the word without hyperlinking it.

For example at reduced simplicial set it has a section titled “Reflection” which then links to “reflective subcategory”.

I feel that regarding “reflection” as not primarily associated with the geometric concept is a specialization fallacy which we should not fall into lest the intellectual scope of the nLab will appear to be rather narrow. But if you feel very unhappy with the entry not being a disambiguation in the way it was before, I”ll roll it back.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I think linear reflection could be a good title for the intended content.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I’m certainly not “very unhappy”; if you feel strongly that it should be this way, then let’s keep it this way. I stand corrected about links to “reflection”; on further reflection (hah) that makes sense, as probably usually when the concept is first introduced in any discussion it is likely to be by way of the reflective subcategory rather than the reflection functor. Also reflector does redirect to reflective subcategory, so we can always use that instead.

1. added reflective subuniverse to disambiguation at top of article

Anonymous

diff, v6, current

2. also added link to modality in disambiguation page

Anonymous

diff, v6, current

3. also added link to idempotent monad

Anonymous

diff, v6, current

4. turning this into a disambiguation principle; there are notions of reflection in set theory and computer science as well, as well as point reflections/point inversions in geometry.

Anonymous

diff, v6, current

5. moved text regarding reflection in geometry over to reflection at a hyperplane, and turning this into a disambiguation page

Anonymous

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2022

Thanks!

I have added some italicization.

diff, v7, current