Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018

As was mentioned recently in another thread, the logo shown on nLab pages is not specific to us, but is just the logo of the instiki software. This seems suboptimal! The nLab ought to have a distinctive and unique logo, ideally one that has something to do with our aims and subject matter. Any ideas on what it could look like?

We could incorporate something that looks higher-categorical. Possibly the simplest such would be a globular 2-cell. We could go crazy, but simple is probably better to be easily recognizable.

We could also incorporate something suggestive of the “lab book” metaphor (and the word “lab” in our name, for that matter). Like an image of an open book, or a laboratory flask.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Something like a clean version of the third oriental would be nice (ie not the one at that page). It’s both higher category theory and was important in the early days of the n-category café and the nLab, what with the rudimentary higher gauge theory that was a lot of inspiration at the time.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Could we draw the third oriental three-dimensionally as an actual tetrahedron?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Apr 24th 2018)

I like the present logo in itself. To my mind it nicely illustrates how the nLab reaches out to connect all kinds of different regions to a common core.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Apr 24th 2018)

Whatever we decide, one consideration may be that the present logo fits quite well, to my eyes, with the colour scheme of the rest of the nLab; if we change it, it might be worth choosing something which can be noticeably coloured, and which looks OK when coloured in the green used on the main nLab.

I am with Urs that the current logo does seem fine per se, but on the other hand I agree with Mike that it would be nice to have a logo that is specific to the nLab! (An open book seems like a nice idea, together with something noticeably higher categorical, as well, if possible, as with something that captures the idea Urs expressed).

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

@Mike - I don’t see why not, with a good design, a tetrahedron can be made distinctive and visually “easy” to recognise and parse (even if not mathematically (-: ). On one hand, if something like this is adopted it is a big change in style from the friendly blob, which is probably more seen as the logo of the nLab rather than instiki, but it does at least indicate the subject material in a way that would be instantly recognisable by mathematicians as having something to do with (higher) category theory. And the friendliness of the blob likely doesn’t outweigh the reputation the nLab as being challenging material.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • (edited Apr 24th 2018)

May I suggest as a possibility for the nLab logo that we extract one of the pieces from Henri Matisse’s La Gerbe: http://www.henri-matisse.net/paintings/ex.html

The advantage of this is that they look somewhat similar to the current nLab logo (and some have similar color), yet are sufficiently distinct to be a completely new logo.

Additionally, gerbes are extremely relevant for the nLab!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I am conservative as usual and agree with Urs 4.

• CommentRowNumber9.

I think it is a bad idea to allow people to continue to conflate the nLab and instiki. It’s true that we are probably the largest installation of instiki, and probably the only installation of instiki that most users of the nLab will encounter. But (aside from the general principle of confusion being bad) we also have personal webs on our installation. People shouldn’t confuse material on my personal web, or on Joyal’s catlab, or on the hott wiki, with material on the main nLab, in particular as regards attributability, responsibility, the community who created it, etc. At present the only real visual difference between webs is the color scheme and a bit of text up at the top; I suspect that for most users this is much too subtle. Choosing a new logo for the main nLab (only) would help clear up this confusion – as long as it is noticeably different!

1. The forum also has a logo (the superimposed n and f in a circle). If the nLab logo was changed to match (i.e. a superimposed n and l) or if they were both changed to the same or similar things then it would help to indicate that the two sites are connected.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Yes, that occurred to me too. But I would be more inclined to find a good descriptive logo for the nLab and change the nForum logo to match it than the other way around; the current nForum logo doesn’t really have anything to do with our mission.