Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorspitters
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2018

Updating reference to cubical type theory. This page need more work.

diff, v55, current

1. Moved

Morally, this says that Type behaves like an object classifier.

to accompany the discussion of the name “univalence”,

and dropped the “morally” since “behaves like” seems to already be sufficiently hedged.

This is a belated follow-up to #59-60.

diff, v56, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorColin Zwanziger
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2018
    • (edited Sep 16th 2018)

Numbers 59-60 of univalence, that is.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Colin, I haven’t tracked down who put the “morally” there – maybe he/she should be the one to respond – but I wouldn’t have removed it. The term has a particular currency with mathematicians; you might find interesting these remarks by Eugenia Cheng.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorColin Zwanziger
    • (edited Sep 16th 2018)

I’m not really opposed to restoring the use of “morally” there.

The main point of the edit was to group the mention of the object classifier with the discussion of the fibration of types. The sentence then required some rephrasing.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2018

I’ll let others decide. But it sounds to me that putting “morally” there had a more positive value than hedging.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2018

Clarify the relationship between univalence and object classifiers.

diff, v57, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2018

I didn’t put “morally” back in; it doesn’t seem to me necessary here because we do have precise statements about how univalence corresponds to object classifiers. However, I won’t object if anyone else wants to put it back.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2019

I added

A proof of the full result has been announced by Simon Huber and Krzysztof Kapulkin (Huber 19).

Details may require adjustments to the succeeding paragraphs.

diff, v59, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Wrong person, Sattler not Huber.

diff, v59, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So all open issues of HoTT as a foundation are being sorted out these days:

Mike showed that all \infty-topos are models, Eric Finster gave a strategy for internalizing infinitary algebraic structure., Kapulkin-Sattler claim proof of homotopy canonicity.

But I heard in Paris the other week that somebody found a gap in Eric’s argument and apparently it wasn’t immediate how to fix it. But I don’t know any details.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Is there anyone we know that was actually in Oslo today at Sattler’s talk?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Carlo Angiuli reports from the talk (here). Or almost. At least on the title of the talk.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Re: #11, in Paolo Capriotti’s HoTTEST talk in April he mentioned that Eric’s definition (which was always just a plausible-sounding proposal, subject to confirmation or refutation) seems to be wrong (has some extra junk of some sort) starting in some dimension around n=4n=4 (I don’t remember exactly). But he didn’t give any details, and in particular it’s unclear to me how serious the problem, whether it blows the whole thing out of the water or whether there might be a quick fix.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2019

Thanks, Mike.

Now Darin Morrison reminds me that he still thinks he has a solution, we had briefly talked about it here, but that he has not received feedback from anyone yet. Maybe there is a language barrier, as he is somewhat from a different community, I gather. But might you be able to digest what exactly his proposal is?

• CommentRowNumber16.

Maybe in an alternate universe where I had several days available to stare at it… (-:O

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, if all there is available is his Agda code, he should write some prose to go with it. I have suggested it to him, hope he will look into it.

• CommentRowNumber18.

Has he announced this anywhere, other than through you on the nForum? Or asked around in the community for feedback?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 13th 2019)

Maybe not. All that I am aware of is a Twitter message of his from months ago, where he essentially just pointed to his github repository (and now I don’t find that tweet anymore – not that it would matter much). But he says he is not in academia anymore and didn’t find time to make a prose writeup. Hm.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorericfinster
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2019

Unfortunately, it seems that Paolo’s flaw will turn out to be fatal for my approach, at least in vanilla Martin-Lof type theory. I had a number of possible “quick-fixes” in mind, but working through them in Stockholm with Peter and Guillaume, we could not seem to get any of them to go through. A rough way to describe the problem is that, while my definition generates an infinite number of coherences, these coherences are not “compatible” enough with the coherences of the universe (which is the terminal example of the structure i was trying to axiomatize). In order to make them compatible, we would have to finish the construction of the universe itself and hence we end up with the usual kind of circularity. So it looks bad … :(

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorericfinster
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2019

Also, I submitted an issue on Darin’s github page asking for an example of how to use his definition to define the interchange law. Perhaps a simple example like this will serve to clarify his approach.

2. Hi Eric, regarding #20, this sounds interesting. In #14, it was mentioned that one might be able to see the issue around the level of 4-categories. Are you able to say a little bit about that concretely?

Could it not be that the gadgets you define are interesting in their own right?

3. At a quick glance, your approach seems reminiscent of Penon’s approach to higher categories. Did his work have any influence on yours?

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2019
    • (edited Jun 20th 2019)

Just to say that Darin has sent a reply

github.com/freebroccolo/agda-nr-cats/issues/4#issuecomment-503789479

to Eric’s request from #21 above.

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2020
    • CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2021
    • (edited May 13th 2021)

added publication details and links to:

diff, v63, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 13th 2021)

After pointing out that the univalence axiom is due to Hofmann and Streicher, the References section here claims that, 7 years later:

The univalence axiom in its modern form was introduced and promoted by Vladimir Voevodsky around 2005. (?)

Can anyone replace that question mark by a pointer?

The next references offered is from 12 years later:

I have added a remark “see Section 4” to that, but even with such a remark it won’t be easy for outsiders to recognize the description of an axiom in that text.

Digging around on vv’s old webpage, I see that next, 16 years later, there is this, which I have added now:

But again, the uninitiated will have a hard time recognizing the advertized axiom in this text.

If prose is not the venue of choice here, maybe there is a time-stamped Coq-file which one could reference, where the “modern” axiom is first coded.

diff, v63, current

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorcisinski
    • (edited May 13th 2021)
    There is this source: https://www.ias.edu/ideas/2014/voevodsky-origins
    Quote from Voevodsky:
    "I have been working on the ideas that led to the discovery of univalent models since 2005 and gave the first public presentation on this subject at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München in November 2009. While I have constructed my models independently, advances in this direction started to appear as early as 1995 and are associated with Martin Hofmann, Thomas Streicher, Steve Awodey, and Michael Warren."

However, the date of birth of univalence is arguably May 1st 2006, since this is when Bousfield sketched a proof of a baby version of it (express any homotopy equivalence between two Kan complexes as a Kan fibration to \Delta^1). Grayson did post a copy of a series of E-mail exchanges between Voevodsky, Grayson, May and Bousfield here: https://groups.google.com/g/homotopytypetheory/c/K_4bAZEDRvE/m/FSfFdoJ3AAAJ
    • CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

I have worked that into the list of references, here.

diff, v64, current

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2022

I have added pointer to

and correspondingly expanded the parenthesis below the pointer to Bousfield 06

diff, v69, current

4. Adding a section on the univalence axiom for Tarski universes and its equivalence to an “external” version of the univalence axiom where the canonical transport function is an equivalence.

Anonymous

diff, v70, current

5. Adding a section about the relation between univalence and axiom K.

Anonymous

diff, v71, current

6. Added redirect for universe extensionality

Anonymous

diff, v74, current

7. Added link to extensionality

Anonymous

diff, v75, current

8. Adding section on definitional univalence.

Anonymous

diff, v76, current

9. Added redirect for definitional univalence

Anonymous

diff, v76, current

10. added motivation for the transport definition of univalence: strongly predicative Tarski universes which are not closed under function types.

Anonymous

diff, v77, current

11. added an explanation how different notions of sameness of types leads to different notions of univalence

Anonymous

diff, v77, current

12. separated definitions from its categorical semantics

Anonymous

diff, v77, current

• CommentRowNumber40.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2022
    • (edited Dec 27th 2022)

After saying (here) that the univalence axiom is “almost” due to Hofman & Streicher, the entry continued to say, somewhat mysteriously, that:

the only difference is the lack of a coherent definition of equivalence.

I have now expanded this out as follows:

The only issue is that these authors refer to a subtly incorrect type of equivalences in homotopy type theory (see there for details).

It is this notion of equivalence in homotopy type theory which was fixed by Vladimir Voevodsky (…reference?), ever since the univalence axiom is widely attributed to him.

diff, v84, current

• CommentRowNumber41.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2022

added pointer to:

diff, v87, current

• CommentRowNumber42.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2023
    • (edited Feb 4th 2023)

added pointer to:

P.S.: Though the section title is debatable: The univalence axiom was stated by Hofmann & Steicher in 1996 (§5.4 p. 23-24) under the name “universe extensionality” (arguably the more appropriate naming). Vladimir’s contribution was not the axiom as such, but to fix a subtlety in the definition of the type of type equivalences.

diff, v99, current

• CommentRowNumber43.
    • CommentAuthorrbocquet
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2023

Fix a confusion between retractions and sections.

diff, v100, current

• CommentRowNumber44.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2023
    • (edited May 17th 2023)

re #42:

finally found a reference by a type theorist who admits that the univalence axiom is due to Hofmann & Streicher:

(though still without concretely referencing their statement…)

diff, v101, current