Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2018

added pointer to Schwarz 01

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2019

added pointer to the original

(hope the link for the first author is right?)

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2019

added a few more references and a tad more text

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2019

added pointer to

on potential issues with the non-abelian DBI action

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added also pointer to

for more problems with the non-abelian DBI action

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 20th 2019)

added pointer to

• W. Chemissany, On the way of finding the non-Abelian Born-Infeld theory, 2004 (spire:1286212 pdf)

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2020

added pointer to today’s

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2020

Have added more original references, in particular the very first

• Max Born, Leopold Infeld, Foundations of the New Field Theory, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Containing Papers of a Mathematical and Physical Character, Vol. 144, No. 852 (Mar. 29, 1934), pp. 425-451 (jstor:2935568)

I have also added pointer to

which everyone cites. But looking through this I don’t see anything like the DBI action in there (?)

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have given the entry more of an actual Idea-section. Now it reads as follows:

What is known as Born-Infeld theory (Born-Infeld 34, often also attributed to Dirac 62 and abbreviated “DBI theory”) is a deformation of the theory of electromagnetism which coincides with ordinary electromagnetism for small excitations of the electromagnetic field but is such that there is a maximal value for the field strength which can never be reached in a physical process.

Just this theory happens to describe the Chan-Paton gauge field on single D-branes at low energy, as deduced from open string scattering amplitudes (Fradkin-Tseytlin 85, Abouelsaood-Callan-Nappi-Yost 87, Leigh 89).

In this context the action functional corresponding to Born-Infeld theory arises as the low-energy effective action on the D-branes, and this is referred to as the DBI-action. This is part of the full Green-Schwarz action functional for super D-branes, being a deformation of the Nambu-Goto action-summand by the field strength of the Chan-Paton gauge fields.

On coincident D-branes, where one expects gauge enhancement of the Chan-Paton gauge field to a non-abelian gauge group, a further generalization of the DBI-action to non-abelian gauge fields is expected to be an analogous deformation of that of non-abelian Yang-Mills theory. A widely used proposal is due to Tseytlin 97, Myers 99, but a derivation from string theory of this non-abelian DBI action is lacking; and it is in fact known to be in conflict, beyond the first few orders of correction terms, with effects argued elsewhere in the string theory literature (Hashimoto-Taylor 97, Bain 99, Bergshoeff-Bilal-Roo-Sevrin 01). The issue remains open.

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Have spelled out detailed proof/computation (here) that the determinant in the DBI action comes out as

det(η+F)=1+16(FF)Lagrangian ofelecromagnetism/dvol+(4!(FF)/dvol) 2correctionterm, det( \eta + F ) \;=\; - 1 + \tfrac{1}{6} \underset{ \mathclap{ {\color{blue}\text{Lagrangian of}} \atop {\color{blue}\text{elecromagnetism}} } }{ \underbrace{ (F \wedge \star F) } } / dvol + \underset{ {\color{blue}\text{correction}} \atop {\color{blue}\text{term}} }{ \underbrace{ \big( 4! (F\wedge F) / \mathrm{dvol} \big)^2 } } \,,

(I have not yet found a single reference that would bother to go through this derivation. If anyone has a pointer to a reference that does, let’s add it.)

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2020

Put ’t’ in ’electromagnetism’. Just mentioning in case you have copied this formula in a paper.

diff, v22, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks.

And I just fixed a coefficient prefactor.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I think I have now proof – at least for the special case of constant field strength – that the super-exceptional correction term to the M5-Lagrangian (second but last of the open issues listed at the end of arxiv:1908.00042) is indeed proportional to the first DBI-correction term.

I put the computation in the Sandbox. If this is still true tomorrow morning, I’ll polish it up and expand.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2020

Still true?

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, I think so.

Now to compute the first generalization, to field strengths that are not necessarily constant, but linear functions of the coordinates. This will pick up a “higher derivative correction”. So to check now if that is also as expected (here).

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • (edited Mar 18th 2020)

Haven’t any time to look at the moment, but the coefficient of the second term on RHS is 1/6 in Lemma 2.1, but then 1/2 in the proof.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 18th 2020)

Thanks, fixed now. I had fixed it in the proof while writing the proof, forgetting to fix also in the statement.

I have now also fixed the factor of 4!4! in front of FFF \wedge F to 12\tfrac{1}{2}. (This comes from the formula for the Pfaffian, here)

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2020

added this sentence to the end of the Idea-section:

When the D-branes in question are interpreted as flavor branes, then the maximal/critical value of the electric field which arises from the DBI-action has been argued to reflect, via holographic QCD, the Schwinger limit beyond which the vacuum polarization caused by the electromagnetic field leads to deconfinement of quarks.

And added pointer to relevant references:

• Koji Hashimoto, Takashi Oka, Vacuum Instability in Electric Fields via AdS/CFT: Euler-Heisenberg Lagrangian and Planckian Thermalization, JHEP 10 (2013) 116 (arXiv:1307.7423)

• Koji Hashimoto, Takashi Oka, Akihiko Sonoda, Magnetic instability in AdS/CFT : Schwinger effect and Euler-Heisenberg Lagrangian of Supersymmetric QCD, J. High Energ. Phys. 2014, 85 (2014) (arXiv:1403.6336)

• Koji Hashimoto, Takashi Oka, Akihiko Sonoda, Electromagnetic instability in holographic QCD, J. High Energ. Phys. 2015, 1 (2015) (arXiv:1412.4254)

• Xing Wu, Notes on holographic Schwinger effect, J. High Energ. Phys. 2015, 44 (2015) (arXiv:1507.03208, doi:10.1007/JHEP09(2015)044)

• Kazuo Ghoroku, Masafumi Ishihara, Holographic Schwinger Effect and Chiral condensate in SYM Theory, J. High Energ. Phys. 2016, 11 (2016) (doi:10.1007/JHEP09(2016)011)

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2020

and added pointer to the original:

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2020
    • (edited Mar 27th 2020)

added expression for the Born-Infeld Lagrangian on 4d Minkowski spacetime in terms of the electric and magnetic field strenghts:

Consider now the Faraday tensor FF expressed in terms of the electric field E\vec E and magnetic field B\vec B as

F 0i =+E i F i0 =E i F ij =ε ijkB k \begin{aligned} F_{0 i} & = \phantom{+} E_i \\ F_{i 0} & = - E_i \\ F_{i j} & = \epsilon_{i j k} B^k \end{aligned}

Then the general expression for the DBI-Lagrangian reduces to (Born-Infeld 34, p. 437, review in Nastase 15, 9.4):

L BI=det(η+F)dvol 4=1(EEBB)(BE) 2dvol 4 \mathbf{L}_{BI} \;=\; \sqrt{ - det( \eta + F ) } \, dvol_4 \;=\; \sqrt{ 1 - ( \vec E \cdot \vec E - \vec B \cdot \vec B ) - (\vec B \cdot \vec E)^2 } \, dvol_4

Notice that this being well-defined, in that the square root is a real number, hence its argument a non-negative number, means that

det((η μν)+(F μν))0 1(EEBB)(BE) 20 E 2B 2+E 2B 21 E 21+B 21+B 2 \begin{aligned} & - \mathrm{det} \big( (\eta_{\mu \nu}) + (F_{\mu \nu}) \big) \geq 0 \\ & \Leftrightarrow \; 1 \;-\; (E \cdot E - B \cdot B) \;-\; (B \cdot E)^2 \;\geq\; 0 \\ & \Leftrightarrow \; E^2 - B^2 + E^2 B_{\parallel}^2 \;\leq 1\; \\ & \Leftrightarrow \; E^2 \;\leq\; \frac{ 1 + B^2 }{ 1 + B_{\parallel}^2 } \end{aligned}

where

B 1EEBE B_{\parallel} \coloneqq \tfrac{1}{\sqrt{E\cdot E}} B \cdot E

is the component of the magnetic field which is parallel to the electric field.

The resulting maximal electric field strength

E crit1+B 21+B 2 E_{crit} \;\coloneqq\; \sqrt{ \frac{ 1 + B^2 }{ 1 + B_{\parallel}^2 } }

turns out to be the Schwinger limit beyond which the electric field would cause deconfining quark-pair creation (Hashimoto-Oka-Sonoda 14b, (2.17)).

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2020

have instantiated the string-tension factor (previously suppressed) and made more explicit the cross-link between the DBI critical field strength and the Schwinger limit

diff, v36, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2020
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. <p>added pointer to more of the precursor proposals for the non-abelian DBI-action:</p> <p>Via a plane <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/trace">trace</a>:</p> <ul> <li>T. Hagiwara, <em>A non-abelian Born-Infeld Lagrangian</em>, J. Phys., A14:3059, 1981 (<a href="https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0305-4470/14/11/027">doi:10.1088/0305-4470/14/11/027</a>)</li> </ul> <p>Via an antisymmetrized <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/trace">trace</a>:</p> <ul> <li><a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Philip Argyres">Philip Argyres</a>, <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Chiara Nappi">Chiara Nappi</a>, <em>Spin-1 effective actions from open strings</em>, Nuclear Physics B Volume 330, Issue 1, 22 January 1990, Pages 151-173 Nuclear Physics B (&lt; ahref=&#8221;https://doi.org/10.1016/0550-3213(90)90305-W&#8221;>doi:10.1016/0550-3213(90)90305-W</a>)</li> </ul> <p><a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/diff/Dirac-Born-Infeld+action/37">diff</a>, <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/revision/Dirac-Born-Infeld+action/37">v37</a>, <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Dirac-Born-Infeld+action">current</a></p>
    • CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added pointer to

diff, v37, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

and this one:

diff, v37, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2020

added pointer to today’s

• Garrett Goon, Scott Melville, Johannes Noller, Quantum Corrections to Generic Branes: DBI, NLSM, and More (arXiv:2010.05913)

diff, v39, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2021

added pointer to today’s

diff, v45, current

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2023

added pointer to the recent:

• Ryota Fujii, Sota Hanazawa, Hiraki Kanehisa, Makoto Sakaguchi, Supersymmetric Non-abelian DBI Equations from Open Pure Spinor Superstring [arXiv:2304.04899]

diff, v47, current

1. Correcting characterization of the work 1912.12389.

Christian Ferko

diff, v48, current

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2023
    • (edited May 6th 2023)

Thanks. (I gather you fixed “abelian DBI” to “2d YM”.)

I took the occasion to add the publication data to the reference (here):

diff, v49, current