Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2018

Indicated where to find (in the nLab) a proof of the equivalence with the axiom of choice and with Zorn’s lemma (<– it’s there).

diff, v21, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

That seems slightly odd, but probably as long as it’s indicated where to find it it doesn’t matter.

1. Would it be OK to remove the discussion box on this page? Probably no need to copy it here; if it is announced on the nForum, we will be able to find it easily again if we ever needed to.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I agree that it seems a little weird, Mike.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Sure, the discussion can be removed.

2. Removed old discussion in query box.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthormartinescardo
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2021

This page claims that the well-ordering principle doesn’t imply excluded middle. But the way the paragraph is written is a bit ambiguous, and it may be interpreted as saying that the well-ordering principle doesn’t seem to imply excluded middle. If the former, does anybody know a reference for this?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Jul 22nd 2021)

I asked the same question in the Zulip HoTT chat. Andrew Swan’s answer is that the (inductive) well-ordering principle implies excluded middle (and hence choice, I believe): https://hott.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/228519-general/topic/inductive.20well-ordering.20gives.20excluded.20middle.3F/near/246881801

• CommentRowNumber9.

My student Tom de Jong formalized Swan’s answer in Agda, by the way (also taking into account a question I made after his answer).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Hi Martin, thanks for picking this up.

PS If you want urls to turn into links, you need to surround them with angle brackets, like <https://example.com>, and have the Markdown option selected, to get https://example.com

• CommentRowNumber11.

Thanks for the angle-bracket hint. Done!

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2021

Fixed an incorrect claim. The well-ordering principle is actually equivalent to the axiom of choice in constructive mathematics, as proved by Andrew Swan (and formalized in Agda by Tom de Jong).

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber13.

Fixed Zorn’s lemma as well.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber14.

I’ve added a reference, by John Bell, that Zorn’s Lemma doesn’t imply excluded middle. How do I reference this reference in nLab syntax?

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber15.

Improved the reference to Bell.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 23rd 2021)

How do I reference this reference in nLab syntax?

Following the template here I’d do something like this:

• J. L. Bell, Zorn’s lemma and complete Boolean algebras in intuitionistic type theories, The Journal of Symbolic Logic, 62(4):1265–1279, 1997 (doi:10.2307/2275642)
    • CommentRowNumber17.

Removed “if one admits the principle of excluded middle” from the beginning of the page, an assumption which is no longer needed after Andrew Swan.

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber18.

Removed “classically” at the beginning of the file, as this assumption is no longer needed.

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Following up on #16:

In fact we already have a page John Lane Bell, so best to link to it, too.

• CommentRowNumber20.

Thanks, Urs, for both comments. I will add it later after I study the template.

• CommentRowNumber21.

Oh, I see that you already did it. Good.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

By the way, I would re-structure that entry, regarding the material that was already there before you came in:

• the section “Assessment” is hardly worth a section, this should be a \begin{remark} ... \end{remark} and I find even that is unnecessary, as that assessment is at best besides the point (famous as that quote may be)

• the section “History” should be moved down to right before the references, not to distract from genuine content

This way your material “In constructive mathematics” would be moved up to where it’s more relevant, and maybe it should be inside “statement and proof”.

• CommentRowNumber23.

I agree. I found the “assessment” a bit odd, not in its contents, which is interesting, but in its title.

• CommentRowNumber24.

Go ahead if you want to do it. It seems that you have an editing plan in your head already.

• CommentRowNumber25.

Actually, the “assessment” is better placed where it is, I think. This is because, in “In constructive mathematics” we are actually discussing the topics of the “assessment”. Namely that classically two things are equivalent to choice, about which in “In constructive mathematics” we learn that one is constructively equivalent to choice but the other isn’t. So perhaps I would keep things as they are, but changing the title “assessment”. Maybe “discussion”? Not perfect but perhaps less worse than “assessment”?

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Have moved the section “History” to right before “References” and turned the section “Assessment” into a remark inside “Statement and proof”.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber27.

Looks good to me.

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2021

Added link to Dominik Kirst’s Coq formalization of Andrew Swan’s argument.

diff, v32, current