Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2018
    Is there an ability to change the latex fonts? This would be nice as we could use the same fonts used in the HoTT book for the mathematics on the HoTT Wiki. It would give the HoTT wiki a more familiar look in my opinion. Although I do not think this would be possible because of how latex is renderewd on the nlab, although it doesn't hurt to ask.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2018
    • (edited Sep 3rd 2018)

I have been thinking a fair bit about fonts recently, because I am experimenting with a new LaTeX renderer for the nLab, and the fonts are actually the trickiest point (so far at least). It is always possible to ’embed’ the fonts, so in principle we could do what you suggest. The problem is that at the moment we have to make the decision once and for all, and probably there will be just as many people who would not like this. For the future, though, we could allow a user to choose, storing the choice in the browser.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2018
    • (edited Sep 4th 2018)
    Is there a complaints page for fonts? For example $\equiv$ looks terrible on Chrome because the lines are not equally space and $\mathcal{ABCD-UVWXYZ}$ is strange for a caligraphic font. Usually in textbooks these are nice and rounded. This is of course the preference of the nlab, but it would be nice if the preferences only appied to each wiki seperately.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Sep 4th 2018)

Thanks for all the notifications of bugs and questions, I will respond when I get the chance. Just wanted to say that in Chrome the fonts are rendered with MathJax; you could certainly raise any issues to the MathJax project.

By the way, I don’t mind trying out the HoTT book fonts on the HoTT wiki if you or somebody else can provide me with a link to where I can obtain then (or the name if they are standard web fonts).

• CommentRowNumber5.

If you look here you can see the mathcal fonts being used. Now the one that appears in the HoTT book is under ’none’ but it appears as if nlab is using mathcal from calrsfs. Usually Mathjax would render it like the HoTT book so it seems nlab is going out of its way to change the mathcal font?

I suspect calrsfs is being used in the configuration of mathjax?

1. Interesting! My guess is that this has to do with the fact that the nLab mathematics is MathML, and MathJax is parsing that, whereas usually it just parsing the LaTeX directly. I do not know though whether the type of calligraphic font is specified in the MathML, or whether it is MathJax that is making the choice of how to render it.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2018

Just to recall that the need to change the nLab fonts had also been felt by others, see the announcement here of Jake Bian’s browser extionsion Kan for changing nLab appearance.

Maybe Jake could get involved and lend a hand here?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Sep 7th 2018)

I would very much welcome if he would like to try out some things!

I might be wrong, but I think I saw that he was using Computer Modern or something similar, i.e. what LaTeX uses. It is unusual to see these on the web, but I would welcome it from a technical perspective, because it would mean we have a consistent look at the same time (presumably) as being able to render all unicode mathematics symbols.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sounds good. I have just sent an email to you and Jake.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorjbian
    Indeed the Kan browser extension uses Computer Modern via webfonts. I think multiple font settings with preferences stored in browser local storage is a great idea!