Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAhmed
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2018

This is not a composition between functors but a composition between applications of the functors

diff, v42, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019

added pointer to

diff, v44, current

1. Fixing left/right unitor names. Place left unitor first.

diff, v46, current

2. Fix left unitor name.

diff, v46, current

3. Update definitions of left/right unitors for consistency with other definitions (e.g., monoidal categories). Move left unitor before right unitor.

diff, v46, current

4. Update uses of left/right unitor.

diff, v46, current

5. Update whiskering for consistency re: recent changes to unitors.

diff, v47, current

6. Make ’such that’ clearer

diff, v47, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020
    Hi Ben,

thanks for your edits!

Not sure why the links in the above messages don't render.
  7. Update associator for consistency with monoidal categories and changes re: whiskering and left and right unitors.

diff, v48, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthoratmacen
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2020

(This is a test. Here is Ben’s edit comment again.)

Update associator for consistency with monoidal categories and changes re: whiskering and left and right unitors.

diff, v48, current

8. I have fixed the edits now. Ben has no associated nForum user (the posts were wrongly associated initially with a banned existing user), hence why the posts now appear as made by the nLab edit announcer.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020
    • CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorKeith Harbaugh
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2020

Okay, I jumped in and added pseudofunctor to the list of “Related concepts”. I don’t think that hurts anything, and that is the first place I looked at originally.

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2020

Added the example of monoidal categories.

diff, v51, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorsamwinnick
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2021
    • (edited Nov 9th 2021)
    edit 4: Sorry about all the edits. I am back to what I thought originally, which is that I think there needs to be an additional axiom here. Namely, the horizontal composition bifunctor should be required to be associative, that is, horizontal composition of 2-morphisms should be associative. This associativity should be strict; in order to have a notion of weak associativity of horizontal composition of 2-morphisms, we would need to use 3-morphisms to form the pentagon identity and triangle identity.

The pentagon identity in the definition for weak 2-category a.k.a. bicategory has 2-morphisms as its arrows and 1-morphisms as its vertices, as one would expect since this 2-category is the oidification of monoidal category. Although the weak associativity decreed by the pentagon identity involves the horizontal composition bifunctor, it is about the (weak) associativity of the composition of 1-morphisms. This does not appear to imply any sort of associativity of the horizontal composition of 2-morphisms.

I think it would be perverse for horizontal composition of 2-morphisms not to be (strictly) associative. I only know of a few examples since I am only first learning this. One example is that the Godement product (of natural transformations) is (strictly) associative. This pertains to the 2-category Cat. But I think it should be required in general since the whole idea of the horizontal composition bifunctor is that it's supposed to work like composition in a 1-category.

Sam Winnick
    • CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorsamwinnick
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2021
    • (edited Nov 12th 2021)

To put it more explicitly, I suspect there should be one more axiom:

(αβ)γ=α(βγ)(\alpha\circ\beta)\circ\gamma = \alpha\circ(\beta\circ\gamma)

for all 0-morphisms AA, BB, CC, DD, 1-morphisms Af 3Bf 2Cf 1DA\stackrel{f_3}\to B\stackrel{f_2}\to C\stackrel{f_1}\to D and Ag 3Bg 2Cg 1DA\stackrel{g_3}\to B\stackrel{g_2}\to C\stackrel{g_1}\to D, and finally 2-morphisms α:f 1g 1\alpha:f_1\to g_1, β:f 2g 2\beta:f_2\to g_2, and γ:f 3g 3\gamma:f_3\to g_3, where \circ denotes horizontal composition.

This is not accounted for by the weak associativity axiom, since that pertains to the composition of 1-morphisms rather than of 2-morphisms.

I am a little confused about what exactly the coherence theorem for bicategories says, but wouldn’t horizontal associativity of 2-morphisms be something we would expect to have anyway? I can’t imagine not having to require it axiomatically.

hopefully the final edit: I had the details wrong again. Apologies to anyone whose time I wasted. The point stands: I think there should be this extra axiom.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2022

It’s not possible to edit or investigate edits, but comment 17 is mistaken, as one can see by considering identity 2-cells.

Thousands of people have looked over the definition of bicategory, so further edits that are not attested in the literature probably shouldn’t be performed, at least not without prior discussion.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2022

Yes, not to pile on too much but the domains and codomains of the LHS and RHS of the proposed axiom don’t even match, if the composition of 1-arrows is not associative.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2022
    The correct version of this "axiom" is that these two composites of 2-cells agree "modulo" the associator isomorphisms. This is just the fact that the associator is a *natural* isomorphism, which is part of the standard definition.
    • CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2022

I have touched the section “Coherence theorem” (here) adding more and more pertinent hyperlinks to technical terms.

Also cross-linked with Lack’s coherence theorem.

diff, v58, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2023

Spell out the strictification adjunction.

diff, v61, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2023

added pointer to:

diff, v62, current