Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2018
    • (edited Oct 2nd 2018)

added the statement (here) that of all finite subgroups of SU(2)SU(2), Q 8Q_8 is a proper subgroup of the three exceptional ones.

Checking normality of this subgroup, I noticed that there is an issue with another item of the entry here, where it used to claim that a finite group is Hamiltonian precisely of it “contains a copy of Q 8Q_8”. But this can’t be, can it. I changed it to saying that every Hamiltonian group contains Q 8Q_8 as a subgroup, which I suppose is what was meant.

[edit: I see now that the statement that I changed back to was made already by Thomas Holder in rev 3, while the statement I removed was made by Thomas in rev 4. Thomas, if you see this, please let me know. ]

diff, v5, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder

I elaborated a bit on Baer’s structure theorem on Hamiltonian groups that I had in mind when writing this passage.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Just to double-check: Is it right that Q 82TQ_8 \subset 2T and Q 82IQ_8 \subset 2I are normal inclusions, but Q 82OQ_8 \subset 2 O is not normal (here)?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Isn’t it

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right, thanks. I have fixed it now. Also here.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added mentioning of correspondence to the D4 Dynkin diagram, and added a picture.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Is the fact that the quaternion group Q 8Q_8, in its identification as the binary dihedral group 2D 42 D_4, carries the ADE-lable D4, the one corresponding to triality, usefully related to it being a proper subgroup precisely of the three exceptional finite subgroups of SU(2)?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018

added a link to a new entry

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018

Added a derivation of a presentation from a matrix description

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018

Changed normal status as subgroup of Q *Q_*, but should there be a note that some copies are not normal?

diff, v18, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

I have reorganised things a bit to introduce the dicyclic and generalised quaternion groups earlier. I am wondering if the title is a good one for the parge as it now is. I think I have used the notation Div nDiv_n correctly but if someone could check as there are different traditions in the literature and I may have got confused.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2019

added graphics (here) of the subgroup lattices of the first few generalizes quaternion groups.

It looks like for all generalized quaternion groups we have that the minimal non-trivial subgroups are in the center (in fact, there is one non-trivial minimal subgroup equal to the center), and that they are the only non-abelian finite subgroups of SU(2)SU(2) with this property. Is this true?

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2021

Added pointer to Prop, 3.5 in

for the group cohomology

diff, v23, current