Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2018

just for completeness

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Should be “slope of a line”, of course. But I see that Todd is already editing…

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Changed the title slightly.

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

fixed entry title

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sorry, Todd, now I hadn’t seen your change of the title, just looked for changes in the entry. Please say again which title you suggest. Sorry for the trouble.

• CommentRowNumber6.

It was “slope of a line” just as you have it now.

Since you mentioned in #2 that I was editing (at a time that I didn’t think I was; I was reading a novel), I guess I should mention a habit of mine which may be interfering with the work of others. Very often after editing I will hit the back key enough times to get back to the nForum, taking me incidentally back through nLab pages in edit mode. If this backtracking creates an appearance that I am in the middle of editing an entry, I guess I should break this habit, shouldn’t I?

I would love it if the nForum could be accessed from any nLab page with a press of a button. Might that be possible?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for explaining. This is curious, since when I edited the entry after the lock, that claimed to be your lock, had disappeared, the title had not been changed yet.

Maybe your browser, when you hit “back” doesn’t just go back but also re-sends the previous command to the server, or something like this. That would be consistent with the locking phenomenon. But of course I am just speculating.

• CommentRowNumber8.

If I backtrack through the editor page, and then refresh the nLab page I’m on, it typically shows the desired result after submitting the edit, if that information is of any help.

1. I would love it if the nForum could be accessed from any nLab page with a press of a button. Might that be possible?

We do have ’Discuss this page’ in the menu on any of the ’show’ pages, but not the edit pages. Am happy to implement something, just need a concrete suggestion (where it should go, where the text should be, etc).

If this backtracking creates an appearance that I am in the middle of editing an entry,

Yes, it will lock the entry :-).

Maybe your browser, when you hit “back” doesn’t just go back but also re-sends the previous command to the server, or something like this.

You are right that this can sometimes happen with other websites, but I don’t think that should happen with the nLab, at least in this kind of case. Thus I am equally bemused by the following.

This is curious, since when I edited the entry after the lock, that claimed to be your lock, had disappeared, the title had not been changed yet.

If you are able to at some point find out how to reliably reproduce this, I will be happy to investigate.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2018

Well I’ll be, I had never paid attention to “Discuss this page” on nLab pages before. Thanks for that info, Richard.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Oct 4th 2018)

Hehe, you’re welcome! ’Discuss this page’ was added back in the (Northern Hemisphere, pace David R!) spring, around the time that the announcement functionality was introduced.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Very often after editing I will hit the back key enough times to get back to the nForum, taking me incidentally back through nLab pages in edit mode.

FWIW, in some (most?) browsers you can right-click on the back button to get a menu of recent pages to select from instead of going back through them one by one.