Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2018

K-cohomology is a strangely organised page with 5 sections identically named. There supposed to be some difference from K-theory

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Oct 8th 2018)

Hehe, this and G-theory are two of the stranger ones I’ve bumped into as ’exceptional cases’ when I am making technical updates! They look like some kind of private note-taking experiments some years ago, it seems by Urs. We should definitely tidy both up.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Oct 8th 2018)

Actually can add two more here as well. Maybe there are more, if one clicks on the categories used on these pages. [Edit: yes, see here.]

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Oct 8th 2018)

As an aside, this is an example where use of categories is unexpectedly helpful. I occasionally wonder, as Ali also raised earlier for the HoTT wiki, whether we should make greater use of them. Obviously not label everything ’category theory’, but things like ’knot theory’ or even ’mathematical physics’ might be useful. Could even drill right down into things like ’initiality conjecture’.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • (edited Oct 8th 2018)

It seems that Instiki already uses them more then we do.

Here is the all pages page on their wiki

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for the alert. I strongly doubt that I created this entry!

I have no memory of having created this entry, I feel like I am seeing it the first time.

Now it does happen that I forget what I wrote into some nnLab entry.

But every single line of this page defies the style in which I usually write.

In particular I feel sure that I never ever in my life wrote a string like category: World [private]. Not only can’t I make sense of what this should mean, but I am also on record as suggesting not to use that category:-functionality at all, except for people and references.

In short, I feel sure that I didn’t create this entry. Even though I do see that it has my name on it. I find this scary.

The same applies to the entry “G-theory”. What on earth is going on here?

I have cleared both entries now.

If you find more such entries, please let me know.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh, I see, you had already pointed out that there are more such entries. I sure didn’t write these!!

Let’s look at L-theory. What looks like it would be by me is the first four lines, up to the hrule. That’s the style in which I create stubs when I want links to work: One minimum line of Idea, one pointer to Wikipedia, end.

But what follows below the hrule is certainly not by me. This is clearly somebody else’s style, and, most importantly, the style of somebody who is completely unfamiliar with the nnLab.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • (edited Oct 8th 2018)

Yes, my impression was also that it was not you who created these entries. It could be a form of spam. There are some further entries of the same kind, linked to in #3. I can just delete them later.

We have discussed before the possibility of an optional log in/use of password for nLab editing. That would prevent this kind of imitation attack (for those users who have switched on the logging in). Actually, it would be quite easy and quick to implement a simple version of this: please let me know if I should do so.

[Cross-posted with #7.]

1. Following this discussion, I have now manually removed the apparently ’generated’ content from Revision 1 of this page, to avoid it being associated to Urs’ name.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2020
    • (edited Nov 6th 2020)

I have completely deleted the former page ’G-theory’ and its history, since the only content on the current page was the word ’empty’, after Urs cleared the apparently generated content in 2018.