Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2018

Would it be easy to add \llbracket and \rrbracket to the tex commands understood by the nLab parser?

1. I will take a look. Should be possible.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • (edited Oct 18th 2018)

Hi Mike, I had a quick look, and I can easily parse it and replace it by some unicode character(s), which is what itex2MML does in such cases. But it’s not immediately obvious to me which unicode character(s) to use. I imagine two square brackets next to one another is not going to look great (edit: I’ve used two square brackets in the Sandbox currently, maybe it looks OK after all).

2. Hmm, maybe I found it after all. Is this what you are looking for?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Oct 18th 2018)

Implemented now with this symbol. Seems to look pretty good to me, see the Sandbox currently. Fortunately itex2MML interprets anything beginning with \ as an operator even if it doesn’t recognise the operator, so what I have done is post-process the MathML rather than process the LaTeX: the MathML has the correct code for an operator (e.g. so it scales correctly), and then the post-processing replaces llbracket and rrbracket by their corresponding unicode symbols. [Edit: I’ve tweaked Initiality Project - Overview to use the LaTeX code now].

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Oct 18th 2018)

Note by the way that this will only work on the nLab, not the nForum unfortunately. I’m not really touching the nForum much at the moment. But maybe just hacking it with two square brackets, or using the unicode symbols directly, will suffice on the nForum.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Yes, that’s the symbol I was looking for. Awesome, thanks!

If this sort of thing is easy to do, what about implementing \esh for ʃ?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2018
    • (edited Oct 19th 2018)

Now that I’ve done it once, it’s trivial. Were it not for the fact that the source has not yet been committed to github, I would encourage you to do it yourself :-). Have implemented \esh now (again, only on the nLab, not the nForum).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2018

Thanks!

The vertical operator scaling on \llbracket and \rrbracket is behaving oddly in places; they seems to scale based on the entire math formula rather than on what’s inside the brackets? See for instance point (3) at Initiality Project - Totality. Can they be made to scale only based on what’s inside the brackets? If not, then I think it would be better if we could make them not scale at all by default and require marks like LaTeX’s \left and \right if we want them to scale.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2019

Do other people see the behavior reported in #9 too?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • (edited Jan 3rd 2019)

Yes I’m seeing the behavior you describe: image

• CommentRowNumber12.

Yeah, that’s it, although for me it’s even more pronounced. Is this the expected behavior of a MathML “code for an operator” (as mentioned in #5)? An operator is of course not the same as a delimiter, semantically – does MathML have a notion of “delimiter”?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

I see the same (Firefox on a Mac).

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Jan 3rd 2019)

My apologies for not looking into it yet. Will do so when I get the chance. I guess it’s readable at the moment, even if not optimal; if it’s not readable in places, let me know, and I’ll try to prioritise it.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2019

No worries, and no hurry; it’s plenty readable.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2019
    • (edited Jan 7th 2019)

It seems that in MathML, a delimiter is to be coded as an operator, but it looks like it should be within an <mrow> to make it scale correctly, see under ’form’ here. I can try to fix that when I get the chance. But maybe it is something that you’d like to take a glance at, Mike? I will upload the source in a second. (Edit: now done, the repository can be found here).