Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorThomas Holder
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2018

Expanded and reorganised the entry.

diff, v3, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Does the dot FGF \cdot G between two functors indicate composition in traditional Leibnizian order,or does it mean “FF followed by GG”? Because if the former, I think the universal arrow ought to be instead α:(Ran GG)GG\alpha: (Ran_G G) \cdot G \Rightarrow G.

• CommentRowNumber3.

Thanks for catching this!

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2019

Added Avery’s result about the Giry monad as an example.

It’s not a terribly friendly Idea section. ’Condense functor’ redirects to dense functor and from there one can reach dense subspace. But we have a page codense functor, so I’ll make it point there.

diff, v6, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2019

Reworded the idea section.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2019

added description of codensity in terms of adjunction with presheaf category, from Tom Leinster’s paper.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2019

Added a reference to https://arxiv.org/abs/1910.01014 .

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2020

Added two references

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2020

Added this example

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2020

Added two examples: Stone spaces and sober spaces.

diff, v16, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2021

added to the list of examples a brief pointer to the inclusion of finite-homotopy-groups homotopy types, as per the new section there

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2021

Added some more examples.

diff, v23, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2022

Added

• Ruben Van Belle, Probability monads as codensity monads. Theory and Applications of Categories 38 (2022), 811–842, (tac)

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2023

Point out that every monad (in V-Cat) is a codensity monad.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2023

Mention codensity monad of Yoneda embedding.

diff, v27, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2023

added a refernce to

• Anders Kock, Continuous Yoneda Representations of a Small Category, Preprint Aarhus University (1966).(pdf)

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2023

added publication data for this item:

diff, v29, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2023

Added the observation that the notion makes sense generally in bicategories, and added to the example list what this looks like in RelRel, mentioning this business about specialization topology. While I was at it, I reformatted the list of bullet points into example environments.

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2023
    • (edited Jun 20th 2023)

Mention double dualisation as an example.

Despite this being an “obvious” example, I struggled to find an explicit reference to this fact in the literature. If anyone knows one, please do add a reference.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2023

Having recently stumbled on

https://mathoverflow.net/questions/220246/ what-is-the-point-of-pointwise-kan-extensions

I now have some nagging doubts whether the mere existence of Ran here suffices to yield a monad structure for general non pointwise Ran. Actually, the only quick reference I can find for this is exercise 3.a) p.250 of MacLane’s textbook.

Hence for the moment I put the condition of pointwise Kan extension in the definition, concordant with most of the literature and the fact that Kan extensions in the wild are pointwise anyway.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Have further adjusted the wording in the very first two sentences (here), for clarity and flow.

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

also streamlined wording, typesetting and hyperlinking throughout the Definition-section (here)

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Re. #20. Pointwiseness is not necessary (see section 2 of Street’s “The formal theory of monads”, for instance), but it is present in almost all examples in practice.

• CommentRowNumber24.

Re #20: I had begun writing out a proof, but I’m still sorting out my tikzcd code. Maybe the problem is that I don’t know how to interpret “The only difference to LaTeX is that \usetikzlibrary lines should be put inside the blocks” in HowTo.

• CommentRowNumber25.

I guess better now, although I still don’t understand that HowTo instruction. Taking a break for now.

diff, v35, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I don’t know about loading tikzlibraties for the tikz-rendering on nLab pages.

(If I need them for a diagram then I render that diagram locally and include it on the nLab as an image.)

Maybe somebody else here knows. Otherwise you’ll have to ask Richard Williamson, who implemented the tikzfunctionality here.

• CommentRowNumber27.
    • (edited Aug 9th 2023)

Maybe I misread the [MO example](https://mathoverflow.net/questions/220246/ what-is-the-point-of-pointwise-kan-extensions) then, but the dual of the non dense functor with Lan the identity functor there yields a non codense functor with a trivial codensity monad, doesn’t it!? Showing at least that the terminology is akward for non pointwise Ran and clashing with the claim that triviality of the codensity monad is equivalent to codensity of the generating functor.

But thanks for clarifying the issue, anyway!

• CommentRowNumber28.

Re #26: it seems all I needed to do is remove all the \[...\]\backslash [ ... \backslash ] that I had in my code, and this should be reflected in the HowTo. This (to me) mysterious “The only difference to LaTeX is that \usetikzlibrary lines should be put inside the blocks”, where the “should” reads as an instruction, appears to be unneeded and unhelpful for the ordinary nLab editor who just wants to produce readable tikz output, and I think the HowTo page ought to be edited there, but I’m not entirely confident about that position.

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I am not sure what you have in mind, but feel invited to edit the HowTo page.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Re. #27. While it’s true that the Kan extension of a functor along itself always defines a monad, it’s true that this may be trivial without the functor being codense, if the Kan extension is nonpointwise. Therefore, it might be better only to use the terminology “codensity monad” for the pointwise case (indeed, some authors appear to do this), but mention that the construction works without pointwiseness.

• CommentRowNumber31.

I added a few words in response to varkor’s last comment.

diff, v38, current

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Best to reference these claims.

• CommentRowNumber33.

Put in the remaining details of the proof that Ran GGRan_G G forms a monad.

diff, v39, current

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

added publication data

diff, v40, current

• CommentRowNumber35.
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2023

Added a reference to

as well as

that I copied over from Myles Tierney. Is there any reason that the link goes to the very likely pay-walled publisher pdf rather than the free version in the TAC-reprint which is presumably checked for typos and looks much nicer?

Well, anyway: Now that Todd has restored my faith in the general definition of the monad I must confess my nagging doubts are replaced by a strong itch to revert back to the general definition - nevermind the misleading terminology. For the moment I can fight off this urge since the current definition has the charm that it conforms to claims here and at codense functor about the connection to codensity.

diff, v42, current

• CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2023

Is there any reason

Such ontological questions are hard to answer satisfactorily.

But I have now hyperlinked the article to Seminar on Triples and Categorical Homology Theory.

Also added pointer to:

diff, v43, current

• CommentRowNumber37.
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2023

Added a refernce to

• Ralf Hinze, Kan extensions for program optimisation - Or: Art and Dan explain an old trick, in: Jeremy Gibbons, Pablo Nogueira (eds.), 11th International Conference on Mathematics of Program Construction (MPC ’12), LNCS 7342 Springer (2012) 324–362. (doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-31113-0_16, pdf draft)

and expanded a bit on the relational example.

diff, v45, current