Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2019

a stub, as requested here

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorPaoloPerrone

Added basic definitions and examples (more to come).

diff, v4, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • (edited Jan 14th 2019)

If can make valuations into functors, then Monotonicity is just the functor action on the morphism. However the functor would have to map to ([0,],)([0,\infty], \ge) if we want to include ++ as a monoidal product so the functor is contravariant?

Then a valuation on a category (think frame) is a presheaf F:X opVF : X^{op} \to V where VV is the monoidal category of positive real numbers and infinity pointing to the smaller one (the category that comes up in Lawvere metric spaces) with addition as the monoidal product. Subject to the extra condition that F(x)F(y)=F(xy)F(xy)F(x) \otimes F(y) = F(x \prod y) \otimes F(x \coprod y).

I don’t know if this is useful to think about in this way. Oh and continuity is quite literally continuity of the presheaf. The extra condition is somewhat bothersome however, I can’t think of anywhere that comes up in category theory.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorTobias Fritz
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2019

@Alizter: concerning the extra condition, especially how it comes up in other contexts in category theory, see this MO discussion initiated by David Spivak.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAli Caglayan
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2019

@Tobias oh that is very nice! Thank you very much for the link!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2019

Added information about the support and the extension problem. (More to come.)

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2019

Corrected a hyperlink.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2019

Added another theorem about extensions to Borel measures from regular spaces.

diff, v9, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2019

improved references, more material, more to come

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2019

added integration

diff, v12, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2019
    • (edited Oct 12th 2019)

The current statement of Theorem in Section 6 does not match Alvarez-Manilla’s Theorem 3.27, which talks about τ-smooth Borel measures and does not mention regularity.

On the other hand, locally compact sober spaces are regular, so this case appears to be redundant anyway. Some clarification appears to be necessary.

As a side remark, turning “here” into references does not appear to be nLab’s style.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I’ve seen “here” pointing to references more than a few times in the nLab. I think it’s fine.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for the alert. I see that also the actual publication data was missing, and formating of theorems and journal links was bad. Have touched all this now.

I suggest to uniformly code references close to this:

{#LastNameYear} FirstName LastName, _Title_, Journal Volume Issue, Year ([arXiv:Identifier](arXivURL), [doi:Identifier](doiURL))

and to refer to it from the text as

see [LastName Year, Theorem X](#LastNameYear)

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

And for those who can be bothered: Once you have added any refererence item with complete and well-formatted publication data, just copy-and-paste it over to the author’s nLab pages under “Selected writings”, with a pointer back to the pertinent entries.

If we do this consistently for ten years, we’ll have created the most useful online data base.

• CommentRowNumber15.

@Dmitri Pavlov Apologies, I tried to condense two statements that were present in the page without checking that they indeed corresponded to what was in the original paper. Is it fixed now, or is the information still incorrect?

@Urs: I can do that, but what do you mean by “pointer back to the pertinent entries”?

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

He means, I think, to hyperlink back to the nLab mathematics page where the work is mentioned, from the nLab’s page for the work’s author.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes. Paolo, just have a look at any example, for instance Cumrun Vafa – Selected writings

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2019

Let me cite all three theorems involved.

All 3 theorems talk about extending locally finite continuous valuations to measures.

• Theorem 3.23 in his PhD thesis says that such valuations on regular Hausdorff (i.e., T3) spaces extend uniquely to regular τ-smooth Borel measures.

• Theorem 3.27 in his PhD thesis says that such valuations on locally compact sober spaces extend uniquely to τ-smooth Borel measures.

He defines locally compact spaces as those spaces for which compact subsets form a fundamental system of neighborhoods.

• Theorem 4.4 in his paper says that such valuations on regular (but not necessarily Hausdorff) spaces extend uniquely to τ-smooth Borel measures.

• Theorem 4.12 in his paper is the same as Theorem 3.27 in his PhD thesis.

I guess it is important here that local compactness is used in the weaker form, since the stronger form implies regularity, which would make the second theorem redundant.

• CommentRowNumber19.

Corrected the statement and references.

diff, v15, current

• CommentRowNumber20.

Thank you!

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2019