Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorColin Tan
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2019

Added the contents of the canonical isomorphism induced by some non-canonical isomorphism as coming from Lack’s proof.

diff, v32, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorColin Tan
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2019

Added an explicit formula for the natural map from coproducts to products.

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2019

I consider that formula, particularly the usage of \sqcup (or rather that big chunky \coprod I see), an abuse of notation. We have a coproduct functor -\sqcup - and that takes a pair of morphisms f:abf: a \to b and cdc \to d to fg:acbdf \sqcup g: a \sqcup c \to b \sqcup d. If instead you have a pair of maps f:acf: a \to c and g:bcg: b \to c and you want a formula for the induced map abca \sqcup b \to c, then the correct formula for it would be the composite

abfgcc cca \sqcup b \stackrel{f \sqcup g}{\to} c \sqcup c \stackrel{\nabla_c}{\to} c

where c\nabla_c is the codiagonal map. Thus not to be notated as fg:abcf \sqcup g: a \sqcup b \to c.

Note that this construction is dual to the following construction which takes given maps f:ab,g:acf: a \to b, g: a \to c to

aΔ aa×af×gb×ca \stackrel{\Delta_a}{\to} a \times a \stackrel{f \times g}{\to} b \times c

which you denote as (f,g):ab×c(f, g): a \to b \times c. Morally, it seems “unfair” to favor the product with a nice snappy notation like (f,g)(f, g) (the notation you use) while not doing the same, or otherwise spelling out a cumbersome formula, for the dual construction on the coproduct side. My own habit has been to use something like (f,g):abc(f, g): a \sqcup b \to c as notation for the coproduct construction and f,g:ab×c\langle f, g \rangle: a \to b \times c for the product construction and not play favorites. I’d be just as happy with [f,g]:abc[f, g]: a \sqcup b \to c for the coproduct.

Following those conventions, a formula for the map c 1c 2c 1×c 2c_1 \sqcup c_2 \to c_1 \times c_2 might be

[Id c 1,0 1,2,0 2,1,Id c 2][\langle Id_{c_1}, 0_{1, 2}\rangle, \langle 0_{2, 1}, Id_{c_2}\rangle]

or, dually,

[Id c 1,0 2,1],[0 1,2,Id c 2]\langle [Id_{c_1}, 0_{2, 1}], [0_{1, 2}, Id_{c_2}] \rangle

(or some such).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2019

Perhaps ironically, I would use parentheses for maps to products (like vector notation for functions with Euclidean codomain) and angle brackets for maps out of a coproduct (which I’ve seen used before, but I can’t recall where).

• CommentRowNumber5.

David, that way would be fine with me too!

• CommentRowNumber6.

And yes, like Todd, I strongly disagree with the notation fgf \coprod g for maps out of a coproduct. Just like one shouldn’t write f×gf\times g for a map to a product.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Me three. I use (f,g)(f,g) for map into a product (analogously to the standard notation for elements of a cartesian product set, which it generalizes if you identify elements with maps out of 1) and usually [f,g][f,g] for maps out of a coproduct, calling them “pairing” and “copairing” respectively.

• CommentRowNumber8.

I also like the version Mike has for copairing, FWIW.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2019

I also disagree with f∐g and I like [f,g].

Additionally, ∐ (\coprod) instead of ⊔ (\sqcup) is a wrong symbol to use for binary coproducts, just like ⨁ (\bigoplus) instead of ⊕ (\oplus) is a wrong symbol for binary direct sums.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Note that in addition to \coprod (\coprod) and \sqcup (\sqcup) there is also ⨿\amalg (\amalg). I’ve never been clear on whether there is an intended semantic distinction between \sqcup and ⨿\amalg, but both seem to be sized as binary operators.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • (edited Apr 8th 2019)

Following this discussion, and unless there are serious objections, some time soon I am going to start making edits at a number of pages, getting around to biproduct after clearing away some underbrush elsewhere. I’ve made a start at product, and following Dmitri’s observation, I would like to edit away in coproduct the big chunky \coprod as a binary operator, replacing it with \sqcup.

(Personally, in my own work I prefer to use \sum over \coprod, and ++ over \sqcup, but it would be close to impossible to get universal agreement on such things. However, some mention of these alternatives should be made.)

I would guess that people like ’\amalg’ for pushout notation like Y⨿ XZY \amalg_X Z. Again, my habit is usually to write Y+ XZY +_X Z.

• CommentRowNumber12.

Thanks Todd!

I use ++ sometimes too, but particularly in extensive categories where the coproduct really is a “disjoint union” I often find \sqcup or ⨿\amalg easier for me personally to parse, and I also sometimes find that a ++ isn’t quite strong enough to comfortably support subscripts as used for pushouts (particularly when the subscript gets longer than a single letter). And when both a category and its internal type theory are in play, I sometimes find it’s useful to distinguish between \coprod for the external coproducts and \sum for the internal Σ\Sigma-types.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2020

Added a pointless definition.

diff, v34, current

1. I have added several more elementary and perhaps more enlightening examples. I think the example that was there was meant as an entry for the more general context of “ambidexterity”, and it somehow ended up being the only example for this very elementary concept.

Anonymous

diff, v38, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2021

added more hyperlinks to keywords in these examples (Ab, derived category, stable homotopy category, exact functor)

diff, v39, current

2. add link to Karvonen’s page

Antonin Delpeuch

diff, v42, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorJ-B Vienney
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2022
    • (edited Nov 24th 2022)

Put examples of categories with binary products and coproducts which are not equal and don’t give biproducts.

diff, v45, current

• CommentRowNumber18.

Added Rel as an example of category with biproducts.

diff, v45, current

• CommentRowNumber19.

Added the example of sup-lattices

diff, v46, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2023

Added the usual definition in an additive category

diff, v47, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2023

turned the three Definition-sections into subsections of a single Definition-section

diff, v48, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthormattecapu
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2023

Added remark that semiadditive categories are (co)cartesian objects in the 2-category of (co)cartesian categories and (co)product-preserving functors.

diff, v49, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2024

Add citations to generalizations of Houston’s result

diff, v52, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2024

Added the definition of a biproduct of n3n \ge 3 objects in an additive category which requires one more equation than in the case n=2n=2 (namely i k;p l=0i_k;p_l=0 if klk \neq l, which is automatically verified for n=2n=2).

diff, v53, current