Not signed in (Sign In)

Start a new discussion

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry beauty bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory history homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limit limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab nonassociative noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory object of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory string string-theory subobject superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Page created. Idempotent monoids should be to monoids as idempotent monads are to monads.

I’ve added the examples of idempotent elements in (ordinary) monoids (1), idempotent morphisms in categories (2), solid rings (3), idempotent monads (4), idempotent 11-morphisms in bicategories (5), and “solid ring spectra” (6) ―What are other examples?

Also, should idempotent monoids have a unit? The examples 1 and 2 I mentioned above don’t, but 3, 4, and 6 do, while whether 5 does or doesn’t seems to vary a bit among the literature (AFAIU).

v1, current

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2021

Nice!

I have added hyperlinks to more of the technical term appearing (such Spectra).

diff, v2, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

Also, should idempotent monoids have a unit?

When there is no unit, surely the appropriate terminology is “idempotent magma”.

2. Thanks, Urs! (I really need to get in the habit of adding more hyperlinks when writing things in the nLab!)

When there is no unit, surely the appropriate terminology is “idempotent magma”.

Ah, true. I had Kerodon in mind, which talks about non-unital monoidal categories, non-unital monoids, non-unital monoidal functors, etc. Going to it again, I see Tag 00BQ reads

“The terminology of Definition 2.1.0.3 is not standard. Most authors use the term semigroup for what we call a nonunital monoid.”

I think probably the page should at least mention the various possible names (including “semigroup” or “semigroup object”, the latter of which is explicitly used in Section 6 of the semigroup page), but I’m not sure which one is the best name among these three.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor

I agree “idempotent semigroup (object)” seems most suitable when associativity is present. I think “object” can be omitted in this instance, as there ought to be no confusion.

3. I was about to change the page, but then I noticed that we would need to rewrite e.g.

(Non-unital) idempotent monoids in 𝒞\mathcal{C} are the same as (non-unital) strong monoidal functors from the punctual monoidal category pt\mathsf{pt}.

to something like

Idempotent monoids (resp. idempotent semigroups) in 𝒞\mathcal{C} are the same as strong monoidal functors (resp. ???) from the punctual monoidal category pt\mathsf{pt}.

What should we replace “???” for? I think the natural choice would be “strong semigroupal functor”, but this is a terminology that is very rarely used (I was going to say it wasn’t used at all, but it seems there are a few papers actually using that name!), and its meaning is definitely less clear than “non-unital strong monoidal functor”.

How should we proceed here? Should we change it to “idempotent semigroup” and create pages like “semigroupal category”, “strong semigroupal functor”, etc. or should we just go with “non-unital monoid” and “non-unital strong monoidal functor” after all?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2021

It’s reasonable to redirect idempotent semigroup to this page, even if it’s mainly about idempotent monoids. I don’t see a problem with terminology like semigroupal category, considering we already have magmoidal category and the like.

4. Okay! I’ve edited the page to default to “idempotent semigroup”. Thanks, Varkor! :)

5. added the notion of a “strict idempotent monoid” + examples involving Day convolution

diff, v4, current

Add your comments
  • Please log in or leave your comment as a "guest post". If commenting as a "guest", please include your name in the message as a courtesy. Note: only certain categories allow guest posts.
  • To produce a hyperlink to an nLab entry, simply put double square brackets around its name, e.g. [[category]]. To use (La)TeX mathematics in your post, make sure Markdown+Itex is selected below and put your mathematics between dollar signs as usual. Only a subset of the usual TeX math commands are accepted: see here for a list.

• (Help)