Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2022
    • (edited Feb 10th 2022)

For when the editing functionality is back, to add some of these references on relation of affine Lie algebras to modular forms and SL(2,)SL(2,\mathbb{Z})-representations:

• Victor G. Kač, Dale H. Peterson, Affine Lie algebras and Hecke modular forms, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 3 3 (1980) 1057-1061 (bams:1183547694)

• Victor G. Kač, Dale H. Peterson, Infinite-dimensional Lie algebras, theta functions and modular forms, Advances in Mathematics 53 2 (1984) 125-264 (doi:10.1016/0001-8708(84)90032-X)

review:

• I. G. MacDonald, Affine Lie algebras and modular forms, Séminaire Bourbaki : vol. 1980/81, exposés 561-578, Séminaire Bourbaki, no. 23 (1981), Exposé no. 577 (numdam:SB_1980-1981__23__258_0)

• Victor Kac, Minoru Wakimoto, Modular and conformal invariance constraints in representation theory of affine algebras, Advances in Mathematics 70 2 (1988) 156-236 (doi:10.1016/0001-8708(88)90055-2, spire:275458)

(I am giving this comment the category “latest changes” not because I made a change to the entry affine Lie algebra – which is impossible at the moment – but just so that once it’s possible again, this here will be, I believe, in the same thread as whatever edit logs will come. )

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2022

And, of course, the entry needs to be given full pointer to:

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2022
    • (edited Feb 14th 2022)

I am trying to get a better feeling for the non-integrable but “admissible” irreps of an affine Lie algebra 𝔤^ k\widehat{\mathfrak{g}}_k, due to

• Victor G. Kač, Minoru Wakimoto, Modular invariant representations of infinite-dimensional Lie algebras and superalgebras, PNAS 85 14 (1988) 4956-4960 (doi:10.1073/pnas.85.14.4956)

• Victor G. Kač, Minuro Wakimoto, Classification of modular invariant representations of affine algebras, p. 138-177 in V. G. Kač (ed.): Infinite dimensional lie algebras and groups Advanced series in Mathematical physics 7, World Scientific 1989 (pdf, cds:268092)

For the special case 𝔤=𝔰𝔩 2\mathfrak{g} = \mathfrak{sl}_2 the formula for the “admissible” weights is made explicit in

• B. Feigin, F. Malikov, Modular functor and representation theory of 𝔰𝔩 2^\widehat{\mathfrak{sl}_2} at a rational level, p. 357-405 in: Loday, Stasheff, Voronov (eds.) Operads: Proceedings of Renaissance Conferences, Contemporary Mathematics 202 , AMS 1997 (arXiv:q-alg/9511011, ams:conm-202)

(on p. 9).

Am I reading this right that even for integral level kk \,\in\, \mathbb{N}, the weight Λ=k+1\Lambda = k + 1 (which violates the integrability bound Λk\Lambda \leq k) is “admissible”?

That would indeed be what their formula on p. 9 says (taking q=1q = 1, m=1m = 1, n=0n = 0 and p=kp = k the level), but i am worried that this is a boundary case in which the formula is not actually meant to apply. But if it does, what is the role of that non-integrable but admissible module in the WZW theory (which would seem to be the usual one at integral level)?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2022
    • (edited Feb 16th 2022)

i am worried that this is a boundary case in which the formula is not actually meant to apply.

Just to add that I checked with an expert, and the formula on that p. 9 indeed has a typo: The range of the variable nn there should exclude 0, hence the correct condition is instead n{1,,p1}n \,\in\, \{1, \cdots, p -1\}.

This way, the admissible weights at integer level kk are still just the usual “integrable” values, namely the elements of {0,1,,k}\{0, 1, \cdots, k\}.

But…

…apparently the extra weight 1modk+2-1 \,mod\, k + 2 – that I was hoping to see –, does appear as the weight of one extra highest weight module which is not integrable, but is an “affine Kac module”, according to Rasmussen arXiv:1812.08384.

Or so it seems (e.g. p. 19), I am still in the process of absorbing this.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2023

[almost one year later…]

finally added these references (from #1-#3 above) to the entry

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2023

and added pointer to:

diff, v13, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2023
    • (edited Jan 19th 2023)

Urs, I am puzzled, why do you use this strange spelling “Kač” ? I know it is Jewish family name in Slavic environment. In this family name it is pronounced ts (both in East and West) which is normally spelled c in Slavic languages, no diacritics in any dialect. I know he lived in Moldova in part of his youth so maybe there is indeed some reason there (I have seen this occasionally somewhere, e.g. https://vdocuments.mx/contents-laksovnotesinvariantpdf-invariant-theory-victor-kac-abstract-notes.html but I see no parallel in any other word that ts would be spelled as č). Wikipedia uses c both in Latin and Cyrillic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Kac

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2023

Thanks for alerting me. I thought I was following references I saw, but checking now it seems I was hallucinating. Have fixed it now.

diff, v14, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2023

Many more occurrences at Victor Kac