Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012

prompted by a question by email, I have expanded at homotopy pullback the section on Concrete constructions by listing and discussing the precise conditions under which ordinary pullbacks are homotopy pullbacks.

Most of this information is scattered around elswehere on the nnLab (such as at homotopy limit and right proper model category) and I had wrongly believed that it was already collected here. But it wasn’t.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

Thanks. I added a comment about the Reedy model structure which “explains” the first condition.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012

Ah, right. Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012
    • (edited Apr 15th 2012)

There is a sentence in the middle

The canonical morphism A× CBA× C hBA \times_{C} B \to A \times_C^h B here is induced by the section ZZ IZ \to Z^I.

Not only that there is some apparent notation confusion here, but I do not know which canonical morphism, I mean the ordinary pullback A× CBA\times_C B is not mentioned in the preceding diagrams. Well, it is, in a different notation, the whole page scrolled above, in a different section. What is going on ?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2012
    • (edited Apr 15th 2012)

The zee is a cee :-)

The morphism is induced from the canonical section s:CC Is : C \to C^I into the path space object, namely from the commuting diagram

A× CB C s C I Δ A×B C×C. \array{ A \times_C B &\to& C &\stackrel{s}{\to}& C^I \\ \downarrow &&&{}_{\mathllap{\Delta}}\searrow& \downarrow \\ A \times B &&\to&& C \times C } \,.

Thanks for catching this. I have fixed it.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012

At homotopy pullback I have added a brief section In homotopy type theory with just a basic remark. Should be expanded, eventually.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2012
    • (edited May 9th 2012)

at homotopy pullback I have added another brief section Constructions - In homotopy type theory where I spell out briefly how applying the categorical semantics interpretation to the HoTT formulation of the homotopy pullback does reproduce the derived pullback formula discussed further above in this entry.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2014
    • (edited Apr 13th 2014)

I am having some trouble following the discussion between Remark 1 and Corollary 1 at homotopy pullback,

If all objects involved are already fibrant, then such a resolution is provided by the factorization lemma. This says that a fibrant resoltuion of BCB \to C is given by the total composite vertical morphism in

C I× CB B C I C C, \array{ C^I \times_C B &\to& B \\ \downarrow && \downarrow \\ C^I &\to& C \\ \downarrow \\ C } \,,

where CC IC×CC \stackrel{\simeq}{\to} C^I \to C \times C is a path object for the fibrant object CC

With a friend we were able to see that this vertical composite C I× CBCC^I \times_C B \to C is a fibration by factoring it as two fibrations,

C I× CB(C×C)× CBC×BC×*C^I \times_C B \to (C \times C) \times_C B \simeq C \times B \to C \times \ast

After some reflection one can see that this is the same as the morphism in question. However I wonder if the author maybe had a more elegant argument in mind (I don’t really understand the reference to the “factorization lemma”)?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hm, this is supposed to be the key argument laid out at factorization lemma.

Just recently Richard Williamson had rewritten that entry. See our recent discussion around here.

If the above doesn’t become clear enough there, then we should add more amplification again.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

I can’t really make the connection, is it Proposition 3 which is supposed to be used? I thought that was just the analogue of the factorization axiom for categories of fibrant objects.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, so maybe we need to add more to Richard’s version then after all.

If you go back to revision number 10 (or any previous one) then the statement in question is right in the first paragraphs.

If that’s what you need, maybe could you edit the entry again such as to make this clear (again)?

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh

Oh thanks, I see now, the argument is in the proof of Lemma 1 in that version. I’ll try to make some edits.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014
    • (edited Apr 14th 2014)

Ok, I’ve made some changes to factorization lemma now, mainly adding lemma 3 and rewriting the proof of the factorization lemma (prop 1). I hope everything is still coherent.

Edit: also edited homotopy pullback a bit. I changed the limit in Corollary 1 to the pullback you see now, just for simplicity of exposition.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014
    • (edited Apr 30th 2014)

have added to the section Fiberwise characterisation the statement for stable model categories: a square is a homotopy pullback iff it is a homotopy pushout iff it induces an equivalence on homotopy fibers. With a pointer to the 2007 version of Hovey’s book, for a proof.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2019

added full publication details for the following item (wasn’t so easy to find…)

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2022

I added a reference to HA.1.2.4.14 for the last point of Proposition 4.3 (#FiberwiseRecognitionInStableCase) in the setting of infty-categories.

diff, v58, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2022

just a propos, since it came up in a discussion:

Does anyone have a good counter-example of a pullback of a fibration between fibrant objects to a non-fibrant domain being a homotopy pullback?

Such a counter-example would be good to add to this Prop. to see that its assumptions are necessary.

diff, v59, current

1. Added counterexample fo homotopy pullbacks in model categories.

Adrian Clough

diff, v60, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2022

Thanks, Adrian!!

I have slightly touched the formatting (here).

diff, v61, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2023

noticed that “homotopy pushout” has been redirecting to homotopy pullback all along, which now makes it hard to cross-link more specifically for instance to homotopy pushout type.

So hereby I am deleting all pushout related redirects

[[!redirects homotopy pushout]]
      [[!redirects homotopy pushouts]]

[[!redirects homotopy co-fiber product]]
      [[!redirects homotopy co-fiber products]]

[[!redirects homotopy cobase change]]
      [[!redirects homotopy cobase changes]]

and am making them instead point to a new entry homotopy pushout, which i will create now

diff, v64, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2023
    • (edited Jan 3rd 2023)

Noticed that all the (couple of) items in the section “References – In HoTT” (here) were about homotopy pushouts instead of pullbacks.

So I moved this previous content of this subsection to homotopy pushout type and instead added here pointers on homotopy pullbacks in HoTT:

diff, v65, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2023
    • (edited Jan 3rd 2023)

added a list of pointers to textbook chapters dedicated to introducing homotopy pullbacks:

and took the liberty of pointing also to:

diff, v66, current