Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009
    I have put a copy of my thesis, as it is being handed up for examination, on my personal web.

David Roberts
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Congratulations!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    Thanks! I've progressed somewhat beyond the point I sent you a confused email in 2006 about internal natural transformations :)

David
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2009

Great Job, David!

Would you like to make a guest post to the Cafe, announcing your thesis? If so, just send me an email with the desired text, and I'll post it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Baez
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2009
    Congratulations, David! I'll have to look at it.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2010

FYI:

I've just been appointed a visiting research fellow at Adelaide University for a year (still working full-time outside academia, though :-).

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorEric

David,

Congrats! But how does that work? How do you work full time and still become a visiting research fellow?

In a dream world, I'd try to do something similar. My PhD advisor is now dean of engineering at HKU. If only in a different life...

• CommentRowNumber8.

I get no pay from the uni, just access to library, online journals, email and the like. I'm basically, as far as I see it, only obliged to publish stuff, so that the university gets the kudos (as much as little ol' me can bring) and the funding for having published at a certain rate. All said publishable stuff is from my thesis or done in my spare time.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • (edited Apr 8th 2010)

Great news. Congrats.

What exactly is your role at the NCVER?

I like the wording of your page which almost reads as if you were applying 2-bundles and internal groupoids to Vocational Education! :-)

• CommentRowNumber10.

At the moment I'm an in-house research consultant/analyst. Last year I was analysing survey results. I was aware of the irony of the wording order, and I should perhaps put it as 'my [pure] mathematical work is in...'.

• CommentRowNumber11.

You should look at topological data analysis (a la Carlsson et al) astonish all the vocational educationalists and then interpret the 2-bundle corresponding to a path connection on data space, in terms of 2-covering spaces thus proving that what they wanted to do cannot be done!!!! :-)

(Joking of course, but I would love to have something like that happen!)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    Congratulations David! I remember that feeling of relief when I was done. You must feel a weight off your shoulders.
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Great that some steps and rewards started coming up in your early career, but with your level you deserve much more: I mean being paid for full time academic job. Are you considering leaving Australia ? I think at least the temporary academic jobs (say one half to 3 years) are easier to find in Europe and US.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2010

I'm staying in Australia for a little time yet, but I'm keeping myself mathematically busy in the meantime, so my options remain open. (And thanks for the compliment. Hanging around here makes me feel small, what with Urs blasting away on oo-stuff, and Todd and Mike and Toby and yourself and ...)

• CommentRowNumber15.

@Tim

You should look at topological data analysis (a la Carlsson et al)

I really am interested in TDA, as we have some largish data sets (the database of 1.3 million students doing VET nation-wide for instance, or longitudinal survey work with 5000+ variables) and I'm sure that something mathematically interesting can be done in this field. I was also toying with using the Leinster measure stuff, and rejigging the biodiversity work for my purposes, but not just yet.

• CommentRowNumber16.

That sounds like some interesting projects that might get funded!!!! Other interesting projects are less likely. The Leinster measure idea is one that will I am sure go places in this area. Some of the stuff I wanted to do a few years ago needed that sort of input into the categorical base and it was not available at the time. My problem is that of bridging the gap between the topological data and interpretations that mean something to the user!