Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011

I moved extended natural number system to extended natural number and expanded it. In particular, it’s now a good place to link to if you want to say that an nn-concept from higher category theory makes sense “for any extended natural number nn”.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2011

So we could say decategorification and looping (as decribed in Categorification)) send nn-categories to pred(n)pred(n)-categories for all extended natural numbers (having tidied up numbering at the lower end and doing what is necessary to allow *\ast-categories to be images of (2)(-2)-categories).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2011

Yes! (And looping makes a monoidal pred(n)pred(n)-category.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

I have a query on the page about the embedding in \mathbb{R}, because even though I made a small fix, I still don’t think I got it right.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

@David C. 2: That’s a nice way to put it! I don’t know if I put together before the facts that the ordinary natural numbers are the well-founded objects in the extended natural numbers (the inductive type sitting inside the coinductive type), whereas nn-categories are conveniently defined inductively for finite nn and coinductively for infinite nn.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Aug 17th 2011)

@DR

Yes, there was supposed to be x ix_i in there; I’ve fixed it. (I also divided by 22 twice for some reason.)

The crazy way that it looked before is another itex “feature”.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorColin Tan
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2018
    • (edited Nov 27th 2018)

Should the extended natural numbers start with 11 instead? It is written in the section on universal property, “You can think of corec Spcorec_S p as mapping an element aa of SS to the number of times that pp must be applied in succession, starting from aa, before being taken out of SS.” In particular, if p(a)=*p(a) = * is undefined, so pp must be applied 11 time before being taken out of SS, so corec Sp(a)\corec_S p(a) should be equal to 11, right?

So it seems that corec S\corec_S takes values 1,2,1, 2, \dots or \infty.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Or redefine so that the number counts the times that pp can be applied while staying within SS.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

I changed the wording to “the maximum number of times that pp can be applied in succession, starting from aa, before being taken out of SS” to keep 0.

diff, v10, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorRichard Williamson
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2018
    • (edited Nov 28th 2018)

[Administrative note: comments #1 - #8 originally belonged to a Latest Changes thread entitled ’Extended natural numbers’. The edit announcer does not know about page name changes that were made before it came into existence, so I have manually merged that thread with this one. I also deleted a one sentence comment of Mike’s in the old thread which basically just alerted to the fact that the edit announcer had used this thread. ]

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorColin Tan
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2018

In that sense, the set of extended natural numbers is a decategorification of the category of countable sets. Identify 00 with the empty set, 11 with a singleton, …, \infty with a countable set. And pp identifies with the operation of taking the complement of a singleton in a set. Eg p()p(\emptyset) is undefined, p({0})={0}{0}=p(\{0\}) = \{0\} \setminus \{0\} = \emptyset is empty, p({0,1})={0,1}{1}={1}p(\{0, 1\}) = \{0, 1\} \setminus \{1\} = \{1\} is a singleton, … and p({0,1,2,...})={0,1,2,...}{0}={1,2,}p(\{0, 1, 2, ... \}) = \{0, 1, 2, ...\} \setminus \{0\} = \{1, 2, \dots\} is countable.

So corec Sp(a)\corec_S p(a) is the extended natural number identified with the subset of {p,pp,ppp,}\{p, p\circ p, p\circ p \circ p, \cdots \} containing those ppp \circ \cdots \circ p that satisfy (pp)(a)S(p \circ \cdots \circ p)(a) \in S. Thanks for suggesting the change, David!

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorVictor Sannier
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2023

Added redirections of conatural numbers, conat, conumber, etc. and wrote a section on formalisation in proof assistants

diff, v14, current