Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorIan_Durham
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
    I broke out a very rough page on what I'm tentatively calling graphical quantum channels. If anyone has some time or interest, it's really rough and I could use some help further developing this. Essentially, my aim is to develop a fully robust theory of quantum channels in category theoretic terms, but with an eye for pedagogy and simplicity.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Mar 28th 2010)

Hi Ian,

As a lab elf, I thought I would tell you that Urs has a unfortunate habit of propagating "s"s outside of links. For example groups instead of groups. This makes me cringe every time I see it (I am stickler about aesthetics).

Because Urs is one of the most prolific writers of the nLab, as I feared, this is becoming recognized as a standard, i.e. "Since Urs puts "s"s outside the brackets, that must be the standard. Even though it looks weird, I will follow the standard." Argh :)

It is not a big deal, and we've gone over this many times without a clear consensus, so maybe "s"'s outside are fine, but generally when I see them, I go around and "fix" them.

See Note on Formatting

I changed your link extremal quantum channels to extremal quantum channels and added a redirect so everything works fine.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    Eric,

LOL. That made me chuckle. Not sure why. OK, I shall henceforth stop copying Urs. ;)

Ian
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Mar 28th 2010)
    This comment is invalid XML; displaying source. <p>Phew :)</p> <p>Plus, if you are going to be creating pages, it is good for you to know about <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/redirects">redirects</a> anyway. For example, if you look at the bottom of the source for <a href="https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/%28infinity%2C1%29-category">(infinity,1)-category</a>, you will see the lines:</p> <p>[ [!redirects (?,1)-category]]<br> [ [!redirects (?,1)-categories]]<br> [ [!redirects (infinity,1)-categories]]<br> [ [!redirects infinity comma one category]]<br> [ [!redirects (?%2C1)-category]]<br></p> <p>So when you create a new page, it is good practice (though not required) to add redirects for things like plurals and obvious synonyms, etc.</p>
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    Actually, I have been incorporating redirects into most of my pages already. In fact that's what I was doing to cover singular/plural combinations until I noticed what Urs was doing. I shall return to my original practice. :)
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Hah! :D

Now I know why you chuckled before and knowing that made me chuckle :D

See, Urs, what a bad influence you are :)

Just kidding. I'm just happy Urs is here putting up as much content as he is. If the price is to chase him around fixing "s"'s and warning new contributors not to follow his non-aesthetic lead, then it is a small price :)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    Indeed! Urs can be forgiven his lack of "s"'s. Perhaps we should call him Ur instead.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Mar 29th 2010)

Ur Urs: Proto-bear :)

P.S. I will continue MY preference to put -s outside intentionally most of the time and complaining when being corrected.

P.S. 2: Eric, there are many more serious deficiencies in the nlab which ask for more attention where elves can help even more usefully then with reducing the colorfullness of internal sandhi. For example, many references in nlab have no links to their files, while files do exist on the internet. E.g. list of references at Geometric and topological structures related to M-branes is very useful but many links are missing and papers exist online most of the time.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorEric

@Zoran: My lab elf activities are purely selfish. I only fix something if I think it will help me personally. Since "]]s"'s make me cringe, I fix them on pages I'm reading so I can stop cringing :) It is fortunate that my interests and your's do not overlap too much so I don't find myself on pages you work on too often, or else we'd keep bumping into "]]s"'s over and over again :) I definitely do not scour the nLab looking for "]]s"'s to fix.